Anna Margaret Jones
 Anna Margaret Jones, 23, of Oberlin died Sept. 19 near Bard College in Poughkeepsie, N.Y., of injuries suffered in an attack in the parking lot of St. John the Evangelist Church.
Born in Oberlin, she attended the Oberlin schools and was a 1993 graduate of Lake Ridge Academy in North Ridgeville.
Miss Jones also attended schools in Italy, England, and the American School in London.
After high school, she spent a year as a member of the Alpha Farm Community in Oregon and then entered Reed College in Portland, Ore., in September, 1994, where she majored in religion.
After two years at Reed College, she moved to Middlebury, Vt., and Rhinebeck, N.Y. Miss Jones entered Bard College as a studio art major in 1997.
She was in her senior year and was drawn to the expressive and creative arts.
Miss Jones studied violin at Point Counterpoint Chamber Music Camp, where her parents are co-owners.
She was active in plays and musicals at Lake Ridge Academy and enjoyed dance and art at Bard College.
She also enjoyed making jewelry and other crafts.
Miss Jones was recognized in many communities as a spiritual seeker, a friend, and a kind and caring soul.
Survivors include her father and stepmother, Nicholas and Susan Jones of Oberlin; a brother, Christopher Jones, at Stanford University in Palo Alto, Calif.; a stepbrother, David Meek, of Chicago; her grandmother, Mary Belle Johnson of Dayton and Marian Ginn Jones of Chagrin Falls; and her step-grandparents, Bruce and Carol Copeland of Charlottesville, Va.
She was preceded in death by her mother, Phyllis Marian (nee Johnson) Jones, in 1982.
A memorial service was held on Sept. 25 at the First Church at Oberlin. Burial was in Westwood Cemetery.
Memorial gifts may be made to the Anna Jones Memorial Fund, Bard College, Annandale-on-Hudson, N.Y. 12504.
Oberlin News-Tribune, Oberlin, Ohio, Tuesday, September 29, 1998, p. 2.

Benita Jones
Benita Jones (nee Gordon), 88, of Bayside, Long Island, N.Y., aunt of Duane and Donald Gordon of Oberlin, died June 14 in New York.
Mrs. Jones was born in Pittsfield and grew up in Oberlin until her marriage to Clyde S. Jones of New York.
She was a buyer for Sachs Fifth Avenue, New York City, a homemaker, and did much community service work. She enjoyed traveling and often visited her many friends in Oberlin.
In addition to her Oberlin relatives, she is survived by her husband, Clyde S., and several stepchildren.
She was preceded in death by here parents, Ben and Florence Gordon; her stepfather, Frank “Deke” Godette; Brothers Paul F. and Raymond Gordon; stepbrother Rowland Godette; and stepsister Phyllis Godette Williams.
Funeral services were June 19 in Bayside, L.I., N.Y.
Oberlin News-Tribune, Oberlin, Ohio, Tuesday, June 27, 2000, p. 2.

Boy Drowns While Bathing At Lakeside
Bernard Jones Loses His Life And Body Is Carried Away By A Strong Undertow
Was the Son of Mrs. Otis Grant of North Main St., Had Been Teaching This Year in Little Rock, Ark.
Bernard Jones, a young colored man of this place, was drowned while bathing at Lakeside late Wednesday afternoon. Coast guards searched for the body but on account of a strong undertow have been unable to find it.
The young man, with James Barnes, had been working at Lakeside during the summer. Whether he got beyond his depth or was taken with a cramp is not known. Oberlin relatives were notified at once. His mother, Mrs. Otis Grant of North Main street, was at Beulah park when friends brought her word.
Bernard was a graduate of Oberlin high school with the class of 1926. This last year he had been teaching in a school at Little Rock, Ark. He was a very bright pupil at school and stood at the head of his classes while in school here. It had been his intention to complete a college course.
Relatives of the young man left Thursday morning for Lakeside to continue the search.
The Oberlin Tribune, Oberlin, Ohio, Friday, August 19, 1927, p. 1.

Cecile Gladys Jones
Cecile Gladys Jones, 91, former Oberlin resident, died March 17 at Germantown Methodist Hospital in Memphis, Tenn., after a long illness.
Born in Greenup, Ky., she lived in Oberlin most of her life. She had lived with her daughter, Sue Wells, in Memphis for the last three years.
Mrs. Jones was a [1925] graduate of Oberlin High School. She worked at General Industries in Elyria for several years and then was a cook and server for more than 25 years at Oberlin College before retiring in 1972.
She was a member of Rust United Methodist Church, where she sang in the choir and was an active member of the United Methodist Women.
She was a Past Matron of Martha Chapter No. 35 of the Order of Eastern Star and also belonged to the American Legion Auxiliary and the Women’s Progressive Club.
She enjoyed bowling and traveling.
Besides her daughter, survivors include two other daughters, Betty Oldwine and Vivian West, both of Dayton; a son, Louis West of Oberlin; six grandchildren; and 15 great-grandchildren.
She was preceded in death by her first husband, Louis R. West; her second husband, Wade Jones; a grandson, Ken Oldwine; and her parents, William and Mollie (nee Warren) Lee.
Services were March 21 at Rust United Methodist Church with the Rev. Kevin L. Coleman officiating. Burial was in Westwood Cemetery.
The Cowling Funeral Home handled arrangements.
Oberlin News-Tribune, Oberlin, Ohio, Tuesday, March 24, 1998, p. 2.

Man tells of killing [of Clarence Scott Jones], fails to say why

Although a formal confession has been obtained in Monday’s murder of an Oberlin plasterer, Lorain County sheriff’s deputies today were still attempting to tie up some loose ends.
Ronald Smith, 36, Courtland St., Oberlin, pleaded innocent yesterday in Oberlin Municipal Court to a charge of first degree murder. He requested a preliminary hearing, date of which has not been set because of the illness of his attorney, Lon B. Adams, Lorain.
In his confession, Smith gave no reason for the slaying of Clarence S. Jones, 41, of 152 North Park St., Oberlin, deputies said. ...
Cleveland native
Jones was born in Cleveland Oct. 17, 1923. He came to Oberlin in 1934, graduating from Oberlin High School, where he starred in football and basketball, in 1941 [1943?].
He was employed by Harshaw Chemical Co., Elyria, and as a part-time plasterer.
During World War II, Jones was a member of the 173rd Army Band. He was a member of Mt. Zion Baptist Church.
Survivors included his wife, Helen, a son, Clarence Jr., who is an Oberlin High School athlete, and daughter, Diane, both at home. Others are his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Howard M. Jones, of Oberlin, and a brother, the Rev. Howard M. Jr., who is with the Billy Graham crusade in Monrovia, Liberia.
Funeral arrangements, which have not yet been completed, are being made by Cowling Funeral Home, Oberlin.
The Chronicle-Telegram, Elyria, Ohio, Thursday, January 21, 1965, p. 1.

Young Woman Died on Christmas Eve
Miss Constance Jones Passed Away After Long Illness—Funeral on Saturday
Constance Eola, eldest child of John H. and the late Florida Mary Jones, died at her home 89 South Pleasant street, Christmas Eve, following a several months illness.
Constance Jones was born in Oberlin, October 30, 1906. She attended the public school here and was graduated from Oberlin high school with the class of 1926. That fall she entered the Freedman hospital training school for nursing at Washington, D.C., and was graduated with honors in June, 1929.
During the festivities in connection with the commencement exercises she contracted a severe cold, from which tuberculosis developed. Under the loving care of anxious parents, she seemed to gain. In the fall the overtaxed nerves of the devoted mother gave out and she passed away on October 30, the daughter’s 21 birthday. The loss of the mother was a severe shock to Constance, though she bore the loss bravely. Her hold on life gradually weakened, medical skill and trained hands were no avail, and Tuesday evening she followed her mother into a peaceful sleep.
Besides the grief stricken father, she leaves to mourn one sister, and three brothers.
Funeral services will be held from the home Saturday afternoon.
The Oberlin Tribune, Oberlin, Ohio, Friday, December 27, 1929, p. 1.

Dorothy "Dotti" Totoiu Jones
Dorothy [Ann] Totoiu "Dotti" Jones, 83, of Sarasota, died Jan. 24, 2012. [She was born June 30, 1928, and graduated from OHS in 1946.]
Services will be 4 p.m. Tuesday in the chapel at Church of the Palms in Sarasota.
Survivors include her husband, Duane Campbell of Sarasota; son Gregory of Brandon; brothers John Totoiu [OHS ‘44] of Chapel Hill, N.C., George Totoiu [OHS ‘50] of Jenson Beach, and sister Valerie Giessow [OHS ‘50] of Tequesta.
She was preceded in death by her husband, James Everett Jones.
Dorothy was a graduate and homecoming queen of Bowling Green State University in Ohio. She had an early career in advertising and later in real estate, first in Ohio then Florida.
Dotti was an avid sports fan with favorite teams of the Ohio State Buckeyes and the Cleveland Browns.
In lieu of flowers, contributions may be made to her favorite charity, The Salvation Army, P.O. Box 2792, Sarasota, FL 34230, or the Ohio State University Scholarship Fund, P.O. Box 6665, Brandon, FL 33508.
Herald Tribune, Sarasota, Fla., Sun.-Mon., February 19-20, 2012.

Dureve White Jones
Dureve White Jones, 73, of Oberlin, died April 8 at Allen Memorial Hospital.
Mrs. Jones made here home in Oberlin since 1932. She is a [1938] graduate of Oberlin High School and attended Oberlin College for three years. She worked as a librarian at the Oberlin Public Library for 20 years and retired in 1988.
After retiring, she volunteered her service to Oberlin Public Library until her health started to fail. She was a member of the Mt. Zion Baptist Church. She enjoyed reading and gardening.
Memorial contributions may be made to the Oberlin Public Library Fund.
Mrs. Jones is survived by sister-in-law, Ann White; niece, Lynn White; and nephews Jon White and Marc White.
She was preceded in death by husband Raymond Jones; her brother, Felix White, Jr.; and her parents Felix and Hattie White.
Arrangements for the funeral are being handled by Cowling Funeral Home. Memorial services are yet to be announced.
Oberlin News-Tribune, Oberlin, Ohio, Tuesday, April 11, 1995, p. 7.

Earl D. Jones Dies; Funeral Was Monday
Earl Douglas Jones, 52, died suddenly at his home, 271 Morgan St., Saturday at 3 a.m. Death was caused by a heart ailment.
Born in Oberlin Nov. 8, 1894, the son of Mr. and Mrs. A. L. Jones, Mr. Jones had lived here all his life. After graduation from Oberlin High School [in 1912] and attending Oberlin College for two years, he was for a time associated with his father in the monument business on S. Main St. He later entered the automobile business and was a salesman with Guide Chevrolet in Oberlin and Rothgery Motors in Grafton.
During the war he took a position with the U. S. Automatic Corporation in Amherst and was employed there at the time of his death. Active in athletics, especially football and basketball, in his high school days, Mr. Jones retained his interest in sports and for 25 years served as official for football and basketball games. He was a member of Christ Church and Oberlin Masonic Lodge.
Mr. Jones is survived by his wife, Wilda; one daughter, Sarah Jean Basilone; his mother, Mrs. A. L. Jones of Minneapolis, Minn.; one brother, Robert, of Bay Village; two sister, Mrs. Fred Lamb of Cadillac, Mich., and Mrs. William Tucker of Minneapolis; and one grand-daughter.
Funeral services were held Monday afternoon at the home. Rev. Robert F. McGregor, rector of Christ Church, officiated and burial was in Westwood Cemetery.
Oberlin News-Tribune, Oberlin, Ohio, Thursday, March 6, 1947, p. 1.

Frances Jeffery Jones
Frances Jeffery Jones died July 3, 1982, in Santa Fe, N.M., where she resided since 1973, four years after the death of her husband, Edward S. ‘10. Married in 1916, he was dean of students and assistant professor of psychology at Oberlin 1919-23. He had held a similar position at U. of Buffalo for many years and they retired to Chapel Hill, N.C., in 1958. For one year (1963-64), he was a visiting professor at the Inter American U. in Puerto Rico.
Mrs. Jones was born Nov. 11, 1891, in South India, the daughter of missionaries. [She graduated from OHS in 1909.] In 1921, her father became ill and the family returned to the U.S., making Oberlin their home. Mr. Jeffery was killed in the Lorain tornado of 1924 and Mrs. Jeffery continued to live in Oberlin until her death in 1938.
From 1913-14, Mrs. Jones was a secretary/stenographer for The Congregationalist in Boston. She then moved to New York City to become managing editor for Wohelo, the Campfire Girls magazine. For one year prior to her marriage she was a secretary for the Illinois Training School for Nurses. She later was publications secretary for the Buffalo YWCA, serving as president for three years. In 1949, she and her husband went to the Philippines. There she was an English instructor while he was on a Fulbright professorship at the University of Philippines.
Mrs. Jones was an active member of the Unitarian Church of Buffalo and the Community Church in Chapel Hill. She was president of the Orange County Chapter of the American Assn. for the U.N., and was former president of the PTA. She was also active in the League of Women Voters and the Women’s Club in Chapel Hill. She was listed in Who’s Who of American Women and was involved in the Oberlin Alumni Association of Western New York.
As a student at Oberlin, she was editor of the Oberlin Monthly, a literary magazine, and was a member of the Sigma Gamma Literary Society. She was also on the YWCA board and had lead roles in junior and senior class plays. In 1913, [the year she graduated from Oberlin College,] she was awarded the Edwin O. Grover prize for the best short story.
She leaves sons Richard J. ’38, Llewellyn and Edward, 15 grandchildren including Christopher ’69, and five great-grandchildren. Her sister, Pauline ’16, and brother, Richard W. ’18, are deceased. Interment was in Oberlin.
The Oberlin Alumni Magazine,
Oberlin, Ohio, Autumn 1982, p. 92.

George Tallmon Jones
George Tallmon Jones, 100, of Oberlin, a professor emeritus of botany at Oberlin College, died March 3 at his home after a short illness.
A memorial service, officiated by the Rev. Stephanie Haines, will be held at First Church at 3 p.m. today, March 10.
Born in Oberlin, he graduated from Oberlin High School. He earned the A. B. Degree at Oberlin College in 1920, completed the M.A. degree in 1923 at the University of Nebraska and received the Ph.D. degree in 1932 from the University of Chicago.
Mr. Jones taught botany at Oberlin College from 1924 until his retirement in 1965.
He was a member of the First Church in Oberlin, serving as treasurer for many years and on its committee for buildings and grounds.
He also was active with the Co-op Bookstore, and served on its board, also for many years.
Many students and townspeople remember the Sunday afternoon walks he led, studying the botany of northern Ohio. He also led walks to identify the trees on Tappan Square during Commencement weekends.
Survivors include his wife, Mary (nee Burwell); daughters Frances J. Youatt of Seattle and Margaret J. Doyle of Oberlin; four grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren.
He was preceded in death by a son, Lynds A., in 1952; his parents, Lynds and Clara (nee Tallmon); brothers Theodore, Harold and Leo; and a sister, Beth deLaubenfels.
Burial was private at Birmingham Cemetery in Birmingham.
Memorial gifts may be made to the New Life Hospice, 5255 N. Abbe Rd., Elyria 44035.
Oberlin News-Tribune, Oberlin, Ohio, Tuesday, March 10, 1998, p. 2.
Emeritus Professor of Botany George Jones, 100, leaves legacy of nature walks behind
By Melody R. Waller
Every Sunday for the past 15 years at 2 p.m. sharp, those interested in enjoying nature could depend on George Jones to guide them through nature walks of plants, trees and bird walks throughout the city of Oberlin.
This Sunday there will be no walk.
On March 3, the Oberlin community lost a great observer, friend and scientist. Jones died at age 100 in his home after a short battle with illness.
“George would lead 15-20 people to different areas every week to explore river bottoms, bog, the woods and the interesting habitations of plants. He was a very rapid walker and it was fun to have to keep up with him. Some of his walks would last up to three hours,” said David Miller, professor of biology.
Jones was born in Oberlin and graduated from Oberlin High School [in 1916]. In 1920, he earned his bachelors degree from Oberlin College. Jones received his masters in 1922 from the University of Nebraska.
Jones was a professor of botany at Oberlin College before retiring and becoming a professor emeritus. He was a member of the First Church of Oberlin, where he was treasurer for many years. Jones also served as a board member of the Co-op bookstore for several years.
The annual commencement Tappan Square tree tour was also given by Jones.
“Professor Jones would always befriend people who were commoners of his walks. If there was some information of species of plants that had been covered in a previous walk, he would ask them questions to challenge them,” said Miller.
At the end of his life, the total number of nature walks that he gave was 4,800. However, Jones only counted the walks that had student participation. The actual total of walks that he led for surpassed that number.
“Jones lived such a long life. He lived in Oberlin since 1916 and knew this area well. He added a sense of history to the community and would recollect memories from areas where change had occurred. I remember one walk where we were walking past some foliage and he told us about a house that used to be on that same spot. That added an extra dimension to the walk,” said Miller.
Another quality that set George Jones apart was his willingness to share his love for nature with those around him. “Jones had an acre of land behind his house that he would allow his friends to plant vegetables in the garden. It was a community garden. People would grow their own vegetables. This was an important addition to the community and meant a lot to people. He did this for many years,” Miller said.
“All of his gardening was done by hand. He didn’t believe in machines. This shows a lot about his character. He didn’t think that machines should do the work for you,” said Miller.
Much of the produce that was grown in the garden was donated to the Community Services Center. They would then distribute the fresh produce in the food bags for the hungry.
Jones is survived by his wife Mary, daughters Frances J. Youatt of Seattle and Margaret J. Doyle of Oberlin, four grandchildren and five great-grandchildren.
Oberlin Review, March 13, 1998.

Grover Jones
Akron -- Grover Jones, 47, of Akron, died Sunday, Feb. 23, 2003, at Akron City Hospital, following a gunshot injury.
He was born Aug. 31, 1955, in Oberlin [and was a 1974 graduate of OHS]. He moved to Akron in 1985 from Oberlin.
Jones owned and operated a janitorial maintenance service in Akron and was employed as a meter reader for Ohio Edison for 17 years.
He was a member of Mount Zion Baptist Church, Oberlin. He enjoyed antique cars, travel and mentoring youth.
Survivors include his son, Sheldon Thompson of Elyria; daughter, Samara Jones of Lorain; mother, Frances Jones of Oberlin; sisters Margie Jones and Hattie Jones Robinson, both of Oberlin; and nieces, nephews, aunts and uncles. He was preceded in death by his parents, Jake and Frances (nee West) Jones.
Friends may call Wednesday, 7 to 9 p.m., at Cowling Funeral Home, 228 S. Main St., Oberlin. Services will be Thursday at 11 a.m. in Mount Zion Baptist Church, 47 Locust St. The Rev. Kevin Dudley of Mount Zion Baptist Church will officiate. Burial will be in Westwood Cemetery, Oberlin.
The Morning Journal, Lorain, Ohio, Tues. & Wed., February 25 & 26, 2003.

Henry Weyllen Jones

Henry Weyllen Jones, a student in the Oberlin high school, was killed Saturday morning, September 28, 1907, while in a cave at Birmingham near Oberlin, by the falling of the earth and rock. Funeral services were held Sunday afternoon at the home of his aunt, Miss Frances Hosford, Woodland Avenue, Oberlin. Henry was the son of Rev. and Mrs. J. P. Jones, Pasumalai, India, and the brother of Mrs. Mary Florence J. Metcalf, ’01, and Miss Frances Jones, ’07.
The Oberlin Alumni Magazine, Oberlin, Ohio, November 1907, p. 80.
Meets Instant Death in Cave
Henry Jones, Oberlin High School Lad, Victim of Accident at Birmingham
His Death Is Instant When Roof of Cave Falls In—Narrow Escape for a Companion
Henry Jones, aged 15 years, a pupil in the Oberlin high school [class of 1910?], and son of Rev. and Mrs. J. P. Jones, missionaries in Pasemalia, India, and now at their post, was instantly killed in a cave-in on the banks of Vermilion river, near the Heacox cottage, just on the edge of Birmingham, at about 10 o’clock Saturday morning.
Jones, with three boy companions, Paul Bischoff [OHS ‘12], Lawrence Cowdery and Howard Curtiss [OHS ‘11], had spent the night camping in a cave which they had dug well up on the river bank, not into shale as reported. Saturday morning they were joined by Lawrence [Leonard] Bennett [OHS ’11].
At the time of the accident Jones was in the cave about two feet from the entrance, while Cowdery was inside about six feet from him, the cave being about ten feet deep. Suddenly, and without warning, the rock and dirt which formed the roof of the cave, and about four feet thick, gave way, cracking off from the bank so the greater portion of the mass of dirt and stone fell on Jones as he sat kneeling on the floor of the cave. His neck was broken and death was instant.
Cowdery at the rear of the cave had a wonderful escape, the roof breaking so that a crack or seam was left open at the point where he was sitting. He was covered with debris and caught under several stones, but was not entirely buried under the fallen mass.
Paul Bischoff was below on the bank when the accident occurred; Bennett up the bank and Curtiss close to the mouth of the cave.
Bischoff rushed to the entrance of the cave, dug the stones and dirt from around Jones’ face, found he was dead, and went to the aid of Cowdery. Meanwhile he had sent the other two boys to nearby houses for help which did not arrive for about ten minutes. Before this Bischoff had succeeded in removing some stones which threatened to crush Cowdery and the latter was able with this help and his own strength to get out of the ruins of the cave.
Some farmers who had been summoned, assisted by the boys, dug out the body of young Jones. Word of the accident was phoned to Oberlin and to Tank Home, where Henry Jones made his home. Dr. Van Allen, a friend of Rev. Mr. Jones, and himself a missionary from India, but who is now spending his furlough here, went at once to Birmingham. Soon after noon the body was brought to Oberlin and removed to the home of Professor Frances Hosford, an aunt of the dead boy, at 170 Woodland avenue.
The funeral was held from the home of Miss Hosford Sunday afternoon, a large number of friends of the dead boy and of his parents gathering at the house. The services were in charge of Dr. H. M. Tenney, the lad’s pastor, assisted by Dr. Jeffrey, of India, and Dr. Bradshaw. The pallbearers were all high school boys: George Hubbard [OHS ‘09], Selden Belden [OHS ‘08], Herbert Lindsay, Paul Kinnear, Earl Rice [OHS ‘10] and Ben Dudley.
Dr. Jeffrey, in his remarks, said he felt deeply the honor paid not only the deceased lad, but to the missionaries and their families, by the large number who had gathered for the funeral services.
Music was furnished by a quartette and one of the hymns sung was, “One Sweetly Solemn Thought,” a hymn which had been sung in the Second church Sunday school only a week before and in which Henry Jones had joined.
The Oberlin News, Oberlin, Ohio, Tuesday, October 1, 1907, p. 1.

Howard O. Jones
Howard O. Jones, 89, formerly of Oberlin, passed away in Seattle, Washington, Sunday, November 14, 2010. He was born April 12, 1921 in Cleveland [and graduated from OHS in 1941].
He was Associate Evangelist of Billy Graham Evangelistic Association for 35 years.
He is survived by his son, H. David Jones [OHS ‘71] of Seattle, Washington; daughters, Cheryl Sanders of Ashville, North Carolina, Gail Thornton [OHS ‘70] of Chagrin Falls, Phyllis Kelly of Oberlin and Lisa McGloiry [OHS ‘78] of Los Angeles, California and grandchildren, Andre Jr., Timothy, Ryan, Dean and April.
He was preceded in death by his father, Howard Jones; mother, Josephine Jones; wife, Wanda K. Jones [nee Young, OHS '41] and brother, Clarence Jones [OHS '43].
Visitation will be Friday, November 19, 2010 from 5 to 7 P.M. at the Cowling Funeral Home, 228 South Main St., Oberlin. Memorial Service will be Saturday, November 20, 2010 at 11 A.M. at Christian Missionary Alliance Church, Oberlin. Pastor Lester Allen III of Christian Missionary Alliance, will officiate. Interment will be in Westwood Cemetery.
In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to Oberlin Christian Missionary Alliance Church Building Fund, 125 Pleasant St., Oberlin, OH 44074.
Online condolences may be made to www.cowlingfuneralhomeoh.com.

The Chronicle-Telegram, Elyria, Ohio, Friday, November 19, 2010.

Injured Fatally In Fall From Tree [Lynds A. Jones]
Lynds Arthur Jones, 20, son of Prof. and Mrs. George T. Jones, 322 W. College St., died Monday evening in Addison Gilbert Hospital, Gloucester, Mass., as the result of injuries sustained in a fall from a tree two days before.
He had been working this summer for the State Forestry Commission of Massachusetts.
Born in Amherst, Aug. 16, 1932, Lynds was graduated from Oberlin High School in 1950 and had entered Oberlin College with the class of 1954. He was majoring in botany.
Prof. Jones has gone to Gloucester where cremation will take place and will return to Oberlin on Friday.
Memorial services will be held at a time to be announced later.
Surviving the young man, besides his parents, are two sisters, Frances, of Seattle, Wash., and Mrs. Peter Doyle (Margaret), of Gloucester, Mass.
[Portrait photograph without a caption]
Oberlin News-Tribune, Oberlin, Ohio, Thursday, August 21, 1952, p. 1.

Maj. Margaret E. B. Jones Dies Served in Black WWII Unit
Margaret E. Barnes Jones, 89, a retired Army major who served with the only battalion of African American military women sent overseas during World War II, died of congestive heart failure April 11 at Walter Reed Army Medical Center. She had lived in Alexandria since 1980.
Maj. Jones was one of 32 officers who accompanied more than 800 enlisted women to Scotland early in 1945 to work as a special wartime postal unit.
The 6888th Central Postal Directory had been formed after pressure from civil rights organizations and black newspapers forced the military to use African American women in meaningful Army jobs. The battalion's initial mission was to redirect mail addressed to killed or missing military personnel after the D-Day assault in France, which had scattered soldiers across the country.
Maj. Jones was the public relations officer for the battalion, which worked round-the-clock to clear a backlog of Christmas mail. The operation had been run by enlisted men and civilians, and it was in chaos, Army historians later recalled.
A warehouse was filled with 3 million parcels alone; packages of spoiled cakes and cookies filled still another room patrolled by rats that were said to be as large as cats. Working round-the-clock, and averaging 65,000 pieces of mail a shift, the women managed to clean the place out in three months.
Assigned to a former school in Birmingham, England, and later to posts in France, the battalion was responsible for redirecting mail to more than 7 million people. Mail from home was considered vital to wartime morale, and the 6888th, which kept cards tracking each person being served, broke records for its distribution.
Maj. Jones, a native of Oberlin, Ohio, [and 1929 graduate of Oberlin High School] was among the first African American women commissioned as officers in the Women's Army Auxiliary Corps. She had studied for three years at Howard University, where she later received a bachelor's degree and where her brother, Sam Barnes, was later athletic director. Sam Barnes was one of the so-called Golden 13, the first black officers commissioned in the Navy.
Federal policy during World War II was to limit participation by African Americans in the armed forces to 10 percent. When 400 women were accepted as officer candidates for the WAACS, the 40 African American women among them came to be known as "10 percenters." The military and its facilities remained segregated, for both enlisted personnel and officers, until President Harry S. Truman issued a desegregation order in 1949. African American women in training were similar in most respects to the white trainees, according to publications of the Army Center of Military History: Nearly 80 percent had attended college, and most had worked as teachers and office workers. In all, 6,520 black women served in the Army in World War II.
Maj. Jones's first post as an officer was as executive officer of a company of African American women in Kentucky. The company was assigned to clean floors and latrines in the Fort Breckinridge hospital and to work in the post laundry. It was there that she began working to secure better assignments for the women under her command.
A book about the 6888th, "To Serve My Country, To Serve My Race," by Brenda L. Moore, describes similar efforts of battalion members to overcome racism and sexism to serve their country during World War II. African American women had served as nurses in previous wars, but World War II marked the first time they joined the rank-and-file service. After the war, and her graduation from Howard, Maj. Jones did graduate work in American history at the University of Minnesota. She was recalled to active duty in 1949, and placed in command of a training company at Fort Lee in Virginia. Later posts included tours doing administrative work at the engineering school at Fort Belvoir, an overseas assignment in France and as a special services officer in Kansas. She retired as chief of administration at Maison Fort in France and later accompanied her husband to a post in Germany, where she was president of an officers' wives club.
Her military honors included the Army Commendation Medal. She also received awards from the World War II Commemoration Committee, the Congressional Black Caucus, the Armed Forces Hostess Association and the Veterans of Foreign Wars.
She was a volunteer with the NAACP, the Urban League, the African American Women's Club, Women in Service for America Memorial Committee, Black Women United for Action, the Armed Forces Officers Wives Club of Washington, Alfred Street Baptist Church in Alexandria and the Circle Club of the Kennedy Center.
Survivors include her husband, retired Army Maj. Everett Jones of Alexandria.
Washington Post, Washington, D.C., Tuesday, April 25, 2000, p. B7.
Margaret Jones, 89, Officer in Black Army Unit
by Maria Newman
Margaret E. B. Jones, a retired Army major who served with the only battalion of African-American women to serve overseas in World War II, died on April 11 at Walter Reed Medical Center in Washington. She was 89.
Mrs. Jones spent most of her adult life in military service and had lived in Alexandria, Va., since 1980, said her husband, Everett Jones, a retired Army major.
In 1945, Mrs. Jones, then Second Lieutenant Barnes, was one of 31 officers who accompanied more than 700 enlisted members of the Women's Army Corps' 6888th Battalion when they were sent to England. The battalion had been formed after civil rights organizations and black newspapers complained that the military was not using African-American women in meaningful jobs.
When the battalion arrived in Britain, members were told to sort through piles of mail that filled two hangars in the countryside, said Charity Adams Earley, who was the battalion's commanding officer.
Mrs. Earley said that white women serving in Europe were working as drivers for officers or doing other tasks equivalent to their male counterparts, and the women of the 6888th had hoped for the same kinds of duties.
"They told us that if we were going overseas, we would be given assignments men had," she recalled from her home in Dayton, Ohio. "That was a fairy tale."
Instead, in the sealed orders they received, which they were not permitted to open until the planes carrying them to Britain were in the air, they learned they would be assigned to the postal unit. But soon, Mrs. Earley said, the women realized how vital their new job was to troop morale in wartime Europe.
The women moved three million pieces of mail in three months, much of it letters sent to soldiers who had been transferred, had died, or been scattered after the D-Day assault in France.
"To move the mail with them was a really tough job," said Judith Bellafaire, curator of the Women in Military Service for America Memorial in Washington. "They worked in 24-hour shifts and they cleared that mail out and were credited with raising the morale of the troops. They have a lot to be proud of."
Mrs. Jones was in charge of public relations for the battalion, which broke records for the amount of mail it distributed.
Some of the mail, which had been sitting in storage for months, contained spoiled cakes and cookies, and there was even a package of steaks a mother had sent to her son overseas, Mrs. Earley recalled.
Margaret Ellen Barnes was born on Jan. 7, 1911, in Oberlin, Ohio. Her mother, Margaret Sallee Barnes, was active in community and civil rights groups, and her father, James D. Barnes, worked as a chef. Her mother's parents had been slaves in Kentucky, and she reared her children to value education and to stand up for their rights.
After three years at Howard University, where she later received a bachelor's degree, Margaret Barnes joined the military in 1943, a time when it was racially segregated and there were few places for women. She signed up for the same reasons many men did at that time, said her husband: "She wanted to do something for her country."
Mrs. Jones became one of the first African-American women commissioned as an officer in the Women's Army Corps. At the time, African-Americans were limited to 10 percent of the overall troops, said the Army Center of Military History. When 400 women were accepted as officer candidates for the WAC's, the 40 black women became known as the Ten Percenters.
Ordered to Fort Breckenridge, Kan., after her basic training, she became the executive officer of a company that consisted of 175 black women. Even though many of the women had college educations, they were assigned to cleaning floors and latrines in the hospital and working in the post laundry.
Mrs. Jones complained to a superior officer, and persuaded him to reassign them to other duties, according to a book about the 6888th Battalion, "To Serve My Country, To Serve My Race," (New York University Press, 1996) by Brenda L. Moore.
After the war, Major Barnes returned to Howard to complete her degree. She then did graduate work in American history at the University of Minnesota.
She was recalled to active duty in 1949, and placed in command of a training company at Fort Lee, Va. After her marriage in 1953, her husband was transferred to Aberdeen Proving Ground in Maryland and she to Fort Belvoir, Va. Later they were both sent, separately, to France, and then she was assigned as a special services officer in Kansas. She retired as chief of administration at Maison Fort in France and later accompanied her husband to a post in Germany.
She is survived by her husband.
The New York Times, New York, N.Y., Thursday, April 27, 2000, p. 13.

Valentine Jones
Miss Valentine Jones, 83, of Elyria, died Saturday afternoon at Elyria Memorial Hospital after a long illness.
Miss Jones was born in Mayfield Township[, graduated from OHS in 1918,] and lived most of her life in the Lorain County area.
She was employed as housekeeper for Elyria jeweler Harry S. Burr and his wife until the time of Mr. Burr’s death in 1971.
Miss Jones was a member of the Lake Avenue United Church of Christ.
She is survived by nieces and nephews.
Services will be Tuesday at 11 a.m. in the Wainwright Funeral Home. Dr. Henry W. Bruner will officiate.
There will be no visitation.
Burial will be in Brookdale Cemetery.
Memorial contributions, if desired, should be made to [a] charity of the donor’s choice.
The Chronicle-Telegram, Elyria, Ohio, Monday, January 24, 1983, p. B-2.

Virga West Jones
Mrs. Niel S. Jones (Virga Laura West) died June 26[, 1972,] in Sandusky, Ohio, after an illness of three months. She had lived in Milan, Ohio, since her marriage in 1923 and had been serving on a part-time basis as teacher-librarian in the Western Reserve (Huron County, Ohio) school system since her retirement in 1966.
Mrs. Jones was born in Pittsfield, Ohio, July 9, 1898, [graduated from OHS in 1915 and from Oberlin College in 1919,]and taught high school English at Hayden, Colo., and Kipton, Ohio, prior to her marriage. She was principal of the high school in Milan from 1924 to 1928. After the death in 1954 of her husband who was superintendent of schools in Milan, Mrs. Jones became teacher-librarian in Berlin Heights, Ohio. She was librarian at Perkins High School in Sandusky from 1956 to 1966.
Active in church and club affairs, Mrs. Jones was lay delegate at this year’s Methodist District Conference. She was a past matron, life member and former secretary of Edison Chapter, Order of Eastern Star. She was secretary-treasurer of the past Matrons and Patrons Association, past president of District 5 Associations of Chapters, and in 1965 she was deputy grand matron of Grand Chapter of Ohio from District 5. She was chaplain of DeForrest Chapter, DAR.
Mrs. Jones leaves son Roger W. of Port Charlotte, Fla., who is also a former principal of Milan High School, four grandchildren, brothers Stanley, Edward and Joseph West, and sister Mrs. Iona Auble. A son, Benson, died in 1929.
The Oberlin Alumni Magazine, Oberlin, Ohio, September/October 1972, p. 56.

Wanda Kathleen Jones
Wanda Kathleen Jones, 78, lifelong Oberlin resident, died Nov. 8 at the Oberlin Medical Center after a long illness.
[She was born March 12, 1923, in Oberlin, where she lived her entire life.]
A 1941 graduate of Oberlin High School, she graduated from Nyack College in Nyack, N.Y. in 1944 and from Huntington College in Indiana.
Mrs. Jones taught at Murray Ridge School for 13 years before retiring in 1977.
She was a member of the Oberlin Alliance of the Christian Missionary Alliance Church.
Mrs. Jones and her husband, the Rev. Dr. Howard O. Jones, and their family lived in Monrovia, Liberia, and worked with radio station ELWA, where she conducted a program, “Women of Faith.” She and her husband also conducted another program call the “Question Box.” Her husband was the first African-American evangelist to serve with the Rev. Billy Graham’s missionary team.
She was a very popular speaker around the country and published her autobiography, ''Living In Two Worlds.''
She enjoyed reading, writing, cooking, music and traveling.
Besides her husband, survivors include a son, H. David Jones of Seattle; daughters Cheryl Sanders of Ashville, N.C., Gail Thornton of Chagrin Falls, Phyllis Kelly of Timoinum, Md. and Lisa Granderon of Los Angeles, Calif.; six grandchildren and a brother, Alden Young of Oberlin. She was preceded in death by her parents, James and Florie (nee Tolbert) Young; a brother, Robert Young; and sister, Ruth Scott.
Services were Nov. 12 at the First Church in Oberlin with the Rev. Charles Mayle of the Christian Missionary Alliance officiating.
Interement was at Westwood Cemetery.
Oberlin News-Tribune, Oberlin, Ohio, Tuesday, November 13, 2001 [The Morning Journal, Lorain, Ohio, Saturday, November 10, 2001]

Mrs. Jones, retired teacher, dies at 71 in Allen Hospital
Mrs. Wilda Jean Jones, widow of Earl D. Jones, died Saturday at Allen Memorial Hospital after a long illness. She was 71.
Funeral services, with Rev. Edward W. Jones officiating, were held Monday afternoon in Christ Church, of which she was a member. Burial was in Westwood Cemetery.
Mrs. Jones was a retired East Carlisle Township school teacher. She was born in Oberlin and spent her entire life in this area. Her home was at 40 Morgan.
She was a member of the Oberlin Women’s Club.
Mr. Jones died in 1946.
Oberlin News-Tribune, Oberlin, Ohio, Thursday, March 25, 1965, p. 3A.

William “Spike” Jones
William “Spike” Jones, 38, of Oberlin died yesterday morning at Allen Hospital after a three-week illness there.
Graveside services will be held tomorrow at 11 a.m. at Westwood Cemetery with Rev. Charles Mayle and Elder Linwood Jackson officiating.
Mr. Jones, born in Cleveland on June 5, 1945, spent most of his life in Oberlin. A graduate of Oberlin High School in 1963, he attended Defiance College for two years. He was a licensed barber and had been employed in several local barbershops.
Surviving Mr. Jones are his wife, Paulette; two daughters, Jill and Tara, both at home; and his mother, Mrs. Ruby Jones of Oberlin.
The family suggest that memorial contributions, if desired, be made to the special care unit at Allen Hospital.
Oberlin News-Tribune, Oberlin, Ohio, Thursday, July 14, 1983, p. 2.

Eunice H. Jordan
Eunice H. Jordan, 63, of Elyria, passed away Wednesday, September 7, 2011, at Renaissance Health Care Center in Olmsted Falls, after a short illness. She was born January 27, 1948 in Oberlin [and graduated from OHS in 1966].
Eunice worked as an administrator for Arco International for 10 years, retiring in 1999. She was a member of the Methodist Youth Fellowship at Rust United Methodist Church in Oberlin, Jack & Jill (Youth Organization), Leadership Plano and Plano Chamber of Commerce. She enjoyed travel and reading.
She is survived by her daughters, Lisa L. Bluitt, of McKinney, Texas and Vanesa O. Banks of Iowa City, Iowa; six grandchildren; brothers, Hue L Holoway Jr. [OHS ‘61], Elyria, Eddie Holoway [OHS ‘64], Oberlin, Michael V. Holoway, Las Vegas, Nevada; sisters, Cathy Holoway [OHS ‘70], Elyria, Veronica L. Alston [OHS ‘72], Columbus; and a host of nieces and nephews.
She was preceded in death by her mother and father, Hue L. Holoway Sr., and Ruth H. Holoway.
Visitation and Funeral Services will be private at the Cowling Funeral Home in Oberlin. Pastor Lorenzo Smart will officiate. Burial will be in Westwood Cemetery.
The Chronicle-Telegram, Elyria, Ohio, Friday, September 9, 2011.

Katherine M. Jordan
Oberlin — Katherine M. [Marie] Jordan (nee Luikart), 90, of Elyria, died Thursday, August 13, 2009 at Wesleyan Village.
She was born May 15, 1919 in Henrietta Township to Jacob and Catherine Luikart and has been a resident of Elyria since 1943.
She was a 1937 graduate of Oberlin High School and a 1966 graduate of the Elyria LPN School of Nursing. She was employed for twenty-seven years at EMH Regional Medical Center, retiring in 1991 and was a member of First Congregational United Church of Christ, Elyria.
Katherine is survived by a son Edward Jordan of Oak Harbor; daughter Kathy (Jim) Burrer of LaGrange; grandchildren Cary (Laura) Jordan of Gainesville, Florida; Kelly (Brian) Rudloff of North Olmsted and Wendy (Craig) Gutridge of Broadview Heights; a great granddaughter Kaitlyn Margaret Rudloff and a brother Jacob Luikart of Oberlin.
She was preceded in death by her husband of forty-two years, Robert E. in 1983; granddaughter Heather Jordan in 1989; brothers Louis [OHS ‘31] and Charles Luikart [OHS ‘35] and a sister Margaret Lang [OHS ‘37].
Visitation will be Sunday 4 to 7:00 p.m. at Dicken Funeral Home, 323 Middle Ave. Elyria. A funeral service will be Monday 10:00 a.m. at First Congregational United Church of Christ, 330 Second St., Elyria. Reverend Christina Kukuk and Reverend Robert Gross will officiate. Entombment will be in Resthaven Memory Gardens, Avon. Memorial contributions may be made to Wesleyan Village, 807 West Ave., Elyria, OH 44035.
The Morning Journal, Lorain, Ohio, Sunday, August 16, 2009.

James Douglas Joy
James Douglas Joy, 43, of Sacramento, Calif., former Oberlin resident, died at Kaiser Hospital in Sacramento on March 30, after a 15-month battle with cancer.
Born in Oberlin, he moved to Sacramento in 1984.
He graduated from Oberlin High School in 1972, where he was a member of the National Honor Society and Outing Cub and also played soccer.
He then attended Kent State University and Oberlin College and completed his bachelor of science degree in engineering at Case Western Reserve University.
Mr. Joy worked for Gilford Instruments, National Association of College Stores, Oberlin Inn and Oberlin Municipal Light and Power before moving to California.
While in Oberlin he was a member of East Oberlin Community Church.
In Sacramento, he was a consultant engineer for Henwood Energy Service. He also served as training coordinator with the Sacramento Sierra Club and in 1994 was leader of a group of community Volunteers in the construction of the Sacramento City McKinley Park Playground.
He enjoyed reading, rock climbing, mountaineering and spending time with family and friends.
Survivors include his wife, Aubrey; a son, Doran, at home; a daughter, Aliya, at home; his mother, Mary Joy of Oberlin; sisters Nancy Stafford of Monticello, Ga., and Susan Reardon of Sandusky; and brothers William R. of Melbourne, Fla., and Benjamin of Oberlin.
He was preceded in death by his father, William R., in 1995.
A private service will be at a later date in California.
If desired, memorial gifts may be made to “Gifts to Share” in memory of Doug Joy, 1241 I St., Suite 400, Sacramento, CA 95814.
Oberlin News-Tribune, Oberlin, Ohio, Tuesday, April 7, 1998, p. 3.

Mary Jean Joy
Mary Jean Joy (nee Hobbs), 75, of New Russia Township died Jan. 15 at St. Joseph Hospital in Atlanta, Ga., after a short illness.
Born in Oberlin, she had lived in the Oberlin area all her life.
She was a [1941] graduate of Oberlin High School and attended the former Oberlin School of Commerce in 1943.
Mrs. Joy was a clerk for the former Russia Township (now known as New Russia Township) for more than 20 years.
She was employed as a secretary for the Grafton Foundry and in Dr. Siddall’s office in Oberlin.
She was an active member of the East Oberlin Community Church which her family helped found. She was also a member of the Russia Township Farm Women’s Club.
Survivors include a brother, Glenn Hobbs of Oberlin; two daughters, Nancy Stafford of Monticello, Ga., and Susan Reardon of Sandusky; two sons, William “Bill” of Melbourne, Fla., and Benjamin of Oberlin; 10 grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.
She was preceded in death by her husband, William “Bill” R.; her parents, Glenn I. Hobbs Sr. and Emily Hobbs; a son, James Douglas; and sisters Gertrude Kilpatrick and Dorothy Bures.
A memorial service will take place in the spring.
At her request, Mrs. Joy’s body was donated to Emory University in Atlanta for research.
Memorial gifts may be made to the Lorain County Free Clinic, P.O. Box 1094, Lorain 44055; the American Cancer Society, 43099 N. Ridge Rd., Elyria 44035; or to East Oberlin Community Church, 43709 Old Route 20, Oberlin 44074.
Photograph caption: Mary Joy.
Oberlin News-Tribune, Oberlin, Ohio, Tuesday, January 26, 1999, p. 2.

Peggy Lynn Joyce-Hatcher

Peggy Lynn Joyce-Hatcher (nee Habecker), daughter of Chester Habecker of Oberlin, died Friday, July 28, 2006, in Albuquerque, N.M. following a long battle with cancer. She was 63.
Born Nov. 13, 1942, in Oberlin, she graduated from Oberlin High School in 1960, and from Baldwin-Wallace College in 1964. She later earned a master’s degree from the University of New Mexico.
She was a teacher at Laguna-Acoma School on the reservation in Grant, N.M., where she taught classical literature, creative literature, creative writing, and advanced placement courses in English. After retirement she was invited to be the commencement speaker at the high school graduation.
After retirement she enjoyed genealogy research, caring for her grandchildren, and travel with her husband.
Mrs. Joyce-Hatcher is survived by her husband, Robert Hatcher; sons James Joyce and David Joyce, both of Albuquerque; two grandsons; father, Chester Habecker of Oberlin; brother, Kinzer Habecker of Sheffield Village; and sister, Mary Lou Ganz of Lake Wales, Fla. She was preceded in death by her mother, Pauline Habecker (nee Williams).
A memorial service will be held at Vista Verde Gardens in Rio Ranche, N.M., on Sunday, Sept. 3, Barbara Habecker officiating.
Oberlin News-Tribune, Oberlin, Ohio, Tuesday, August 22, 2006, p. 2.

William (Bill) Judson Jr.
Former Oberlin resident William I. Judson, Jr. died suddenly Thursday evening at his home, 70 Line St., Newburyport, Massachusetts. He was 37.
Mr. Judson was the son of Dorothy Zorn Judson, 29 North Cedar, and the late William I. Judson. Born in Oberlin Sept. 30, 1942 he was a graduate of Oberlin High School in 1960. He was graduated from the College of Wooster and did graduate work at Case Western Reserve University. He had taught history at Thompson Academy, Brookwood School and Pingree School and had also been employed as a real estate salesman in Newburyport.
Besides his mother here Mr. Judson is survived by his wife, the former Elizabeth Updike, and one sister, Barbara Ann Judson of Menlo Park, California.
Funeral services were Monday in Ascension Memorial Chapel in Ipswich, Massachusetts; burial was in Newbury.
Oberlin News-Tribune, Oberlin, Ohio, Thursday, March 6, 1980

Charles Juneman
Vermilion—Charles Juneman [Jr., OHS class of 1925], 55, R. D. 1, East Lake Rd., died suddenly of a heart attack this morning while working at the Thew Shovel Co., Lorain. He was taken to St. Joseph Hospital where he was pronounced dead at 9:20 a.m.
The Edward M. Fisher Funeral Home has charge of arrangements.
The Chronicle-Telegram, Elyria, Ohio, Monday, March 10, 1958, p. 14.
Charles E. Junemann
Vermilion—Funeral services for Charles E[dward] Junemann, 54, of East Lake Rd., will be Thursday at 3 p.m. in the Edward M. Fisher Funeral Home. The Rev. Earl T. English, pastor emeritus of the Congregational Church, will officiate. Burial will be in Westwood Cemetery, Oberlin.
Mr. Junemann died yesterday morning of a heart attack while at work at the Thew Shovel Co., Lorain. Born Dec. 9, 1903 in Morristown, N.J., he had lived in Vermilion 11 years, coming from Oberlin where he resided for 28 years [and where he graduated from OHS in 1925].
He had worked at the Thew Shovel Co. as chief inspector for 10 years and prior to that was head clerk at Oberlin Inn for 12 years. He was employed in Amherst before going to Oberlin.
Mr. Junemann was a member of Elyria Lodge F and AM, Vermilion Chapter 233 RAM, Lorain Council 103 and Lorain Commandery 65.
The only survivor is his mother, Mrs. Martha Junemann, of the East Lake Rd. address.
Friends will be received at the Fisher Funeral Home where the Lorain Commandery will have a Masonic service tomorrow at 8 p.m.
The Chronicle-Telegram, Elyria, Ohio, Tuesday, March 11, 1958, p. 12.

Clyde Justin Dies Fighting in France
Mr. and Mrs. Chris Justin of New Oberlin, in East Russia township, received a telegram from the war department Sunday evening, July 16, stating that their son, Pvt. Clyde Justin had been killed in action in France on June 22. They had last heard from him on July 7, when they received a letter written from “a fox hole somewhere in France” and dated June 15.
Pvt. Justin who had been serving overseas with the Army signal corps since last January was among the first U. S. invasion troops to land in France.
Born November 3, 1923, Pvt. Justin graduated from Oberlin high school in 1940. Previous to his induction into service two years ago, he had been employed as a welder with the Colson Company in Elyria. He received his military training at Camps Atterbury, Breckenridge, Gordon, and Fort Jackson.
In addition to his parents, he is survived by one brother, Ralph, of R. D. 1, Oberlin, and a sister, Jeannette, at home.
Picture Caption: Lays Down His Life For His Country. Clyde Justin.
Oberlin News-Tribune, Oberlin, Ohio, Thursday, July 20, 1944, p. 1.