Cornelia Dague
Cornelia E[loise] Dague (nee Schubert), 79, of Medina, died Friday at Evergreen Health Care Center in Medina, after a long illness.
Born in Elyria [and a 1926 graduate of OHS], she had lived in Medina for many years.
Surviving are daughters, Shirley A. Saporito, of Parma Heights, and Janet Favri, of Medina; six grandchildren and 10 great-grandchildren; and sisters, Margaret Peterson, of Medina, and Janette Bechtel, of Birmingham, Ohio.
A private family service was to be held today at Spring Grove Cemetery in Medina, with Rev. Donald Nichols officiating.
Memorial contributions, if desired, may be made to the Medina County Cancer Society, 740 E. Washington St., Medina, 44256.
Arrangements were handled by Waite and Son Memorial Home of Medina.
The Chronicle-Telegram, Elyria, Ohio, Monday, January 4, 1988, p. B-2.

Lucille Virginia "Gini" Dais
Lorain - Lucille Virginia "Gini" Dais (nee Macarthy), 68, of Lorain, departed this life on Monday, July 25, 2011.
She was born July 28, 1942 in Oberlin, Ohio where she was a graduate of Oberlin High School [in 1960]. Following high school she later graduated nursing school. She worked for Lorain Community Hospital, from which she retired. Following her retirement from the hospital, she worked for a period of time at Franklin Plaza Nursing Home in Cleveland OH. In addition to being a retired nurse, she was also a proud member of the Red Hat Club.
Lucille is survived by her sons, Marc (RayMonda) Dais of Columbus OH, Jeffrey (Stacy) Dais and Todd Dais both of Lorain; sisters, Katherine Washington [OHS ‘59], Mary-Donna McKinney [OHS ‘63], Elayne [OHS ‘65], Laura [OHS ‘75] and Jane Macarthy [OHS ‘78]; brothers, William Macarthy Jr. [OHS ‘69], Franklin (Jori) Macarthy [OHS ‘70], John (Verdell) Macarthy [OHS ‘73] and Douglas (Rhonda) Macarthy [OHS ‘75]; grandchildren, Morgan, Marques and Jasmine Dais; a great grandchild, Antwan; a host of nieces and nephews; and longtime friends, Vivian Charlton, Lynette Pryor, Sylvia Duvall, and Pat Mitchell.
She was preceded in death by her parents, William Oliver Twiggs Macarthy and Lucille Virginia Macarthy (nee Duvall).
A private service will be held today August 2, 2011 at Brown-Robinson Funeral Home, 2652 Broadway Ave., Lorain OH 44052; (440)244-1831, with Elder Allen Gibson of Grace Community Church officiating the service.
The Morning Journal, Lorain, Ohio, Tuesday, August 2, 2011.

[Ralph V. Dale] Killed In Action On OkinawaGold Star
Mr. and Mrs. Hugh Dale, Sr., received word from the War Department on Monday that their son, Pvt. Ralph V. Dale, 26, was killed in action on April 4 at Okinawa Island in the Ryukyus in the performance of his duty and in service of his country.
Pvt. Dale attended Oberlin High School until 1937, leaving in his junior year to work at the Colson Company in Elyria. While in high school he played on the basketball team.
On June 15, 1938, he married Miss Betty Osborn of Elyria. They have a three-year-old daughter, Robin, and a six-year-old son, Ronald. Mrs. Dale and the two children are living at 1358 Shawview Avenue, East Cleveland.
Besides his wife and children and his parents, Pvt. Dale is survived by his two sisters, Lillian (Mrs. Eugene Brandt) of Cleveland, Ruth (Mrs. Carl Nommesen) of East Cleveland, and three brothers, Hugh, Jr., of Detroit, Michigan, and Allen and Oscar of Cleveland.
Hugh Dale, Jr., received an honorable discharge after two years in the Army. Allen Dale received a medical discharge after more than two years as a Marine sergeant in the British West Indies.
Pvt. Dale entered the service in May, 1944. His father was formerly manager of the Fisher Brothers store in Oberlin and is now managing Fisher’s Master Market in Elyria.
Photograph: Pvt. Ralph V. Dale
Oberlin News-Tribune, Oberlin, Ohio, Thursday, April 19, 1945, p. 1.

Stephen Winchester Dana

Stephen W. Dana died Oct. 11, 1986, in Redlands, Calif. He was professor of geology and chairman of the department at U. Redlands. He retired in September after 41 years with the university. Born April 10, 1920, on Kelley’s Island, Ohio, he [graduated from OHS in 1936 and from Oberlin College in 1940. He] leaves his wife, Jane, and five children.
The Oberlin Alumni Magazine, Oberlin, Ohio, Winter 1987, p. 44.

Geneva Man Found Dead In Hotel Room [Charles Wheat Danforth]
Charles W. Danforth, 63, 33 Park street, Geneva, Ohio, was found dead in his room in the Allen Hotel last night. Death was attributed to heart disease.
Coroner S. C. Ward ordered the body released to the Sudro-Curtis Funeral Home. It was shipped this afternoon to Geneva for services and burial.
The body was discovered at 9:50 p.m. approximately three hours after death, it was estimated.
Paul Slifko, Cambridge, who has been sharing the room, left Danforth asleep at 9:00 a.m. and found him asleep again when he visited the room at 3:00 p.m.
Born in Oberlin on December 17, 1882, [and a 1900 graduate of OHS,] Danforth is survived by his wife, Nellie, a son and a daughter, both of Geneva.

The Chronicle-Telegram, Elyria, Ohio, Wednesday, May 8, 1946, p. 2.

Ellen Lancashire Dangle
Ellen Lancashire Dangle, 49, of College Park, Maryland, died Nov. 20 at Johns-Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore. Born in Oberlin on July 28, 1930, Mrs. Dangle was graduated from Oberlin High School [in 1948] and Baldwin-Wallace College. She taught school for three years in Cleveland and California prior to her marriage.
She is survived by her husband, Eugene; sons Mark, Eric and Kurt all of College Park; sister Jane (Mrs. Kenyon) Gornall of Oberlin; brothers David Lancashire of Grand Rapids, Michigan, and Richard Lancashire of Westlake, Ohio.
Burial will be in Westwood Cemetery. A memorial service will be held Sunday, Dec. 9 at 2 p.m. in Fairchild Chapel with Rev. Steven Hammond of the First Baptist Church officiating.
Oberlin News-Tribune, Oberlin, Ohio, Thursday, November 29, 1979, p. 12.

Wilma G. Daniels
Wilma Gertrude Daniels, 60, of Oberlin, died at her home Saturday of natural causes.
A native and lifelong resident of Oberlin, she was a member of Rust United Methodist Church.
Survivors include daughters, Allene Karim of Long Beach, Calif., and Margaret Smith and Jenna, both of Houston, Texas; sisters, Annabelle Wahl and Louise Huston, both of Oberlin; a brother, Robert Scott of Oberlin; and 11 grandchildren.
Her sister, Margaret Smith of Oberlin, preceded her in death Jan. 26. She was also preceded in death by a sister, Beatrice Jenkins, in 1982.
Visitation will be today from 2-4 and 7-9 p.m. at Cowling Funeral Home.
Services will be tomorrow (Friday) at 11 a.m. in Rust United Methodist Church, with the Rev. Sade Reynolds, pastor, officiating.
Burial will be in Westwood Cemetery.
Oberlin News-Tribune, Oberlin, Ohio, Thursday, February 9, 1989, p. 2.

Robert Darling Dies At Oberlin
Robert C. Darling, 30, passed away yesterday at Allen hospital after an illness of several weeks.
He was born in Oberlin thirty years ago, the son of William W. and Ada Ralston Darling, and has been a resident here during his entire life[, graduating from OHS in 1922]. He was employed at the Jones Floral company until his illness. He was a member of the First Baptist church.
He is survived by his widow, Ruth, to whom he was married about a year ago, a stepmother, Mrs. W. W. Darling, two aunts, Mrs. Harry Avery and Mrs. May Wood, and one uncle, Chester F. Ralston, all of Oberlin.
Funeral arrangements have not been completed.
The Chronicle-Telegram, Elyria, Ohio, Monday, June 5, 1933, p. 2.

Francis Elliot Dart
Francis Eliot Dart died June 21[, 1977,] at his home in Eugene, Ore., of cancer. He was born in 1914 in Mt. Selinda, Rhodesia, where his parents were missionaries. [He graduated from OHS in 1933 and from Oberlin College in 1933.] Like his father, F. Sidney Dart ’10, he majored in physics at Oberlin. He earned the M.A. at Notre Dame (1939) and the Ph.D. in solid state physics at Cornell in 1947.
While at Cornell he and his wife joined the Society of Friends. In 1948 he went to Germany for two years as a volunteer relief worker for the American Friends Service Committee at the time the AFSC was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize. For most of his life he was much involved with the AFSC, participating in and directing several Conferences for Diplomats, serving on the board of directors, and in 1963 going with ten other Friends on an extensive visit into East Germany through the Wall. After moving to the West Coast he was also active in regional AFSC work and in the Society of Friends, helping to found and serving as clerk at various times the Eugene Monthly Meeting, Pacific Yearly Meeting and North Pacific Yearly Meeting.
He joined the faculty of the University of Oregon in 1949 in the department of physics. He loved teaching. In 1951-52 he was a Ford Foundation fellow preparing an innovative course to teach science to non-science majors. This led to the development of the University Honors College of which he was one of the early directors. From 1957-1959 he served as a member of a contract team which established the first college of education in Nepal. While there he developed an interest in teaching science as a second culture to children of the non-western world. Subsequently he conducted two separate research projects under Fulbright-Hays grants, as well as spending a year as a senior scholar at the East-West Center in Honolulu, to study the impact of science and technology on the peoples of Nepal and of Papua, New Guinea. His ideas on teaching techniques have been translated into many languages and have had a wide effect on science curricula in many countries. He later helped train a number of Peace Corps teachers in techniques in which he had pioneered.
He and Alice Adams ’39 were married in 1942. He is survived by her and their three children, Helen Baldwin ’67, Eleanor Dart and Paul Dart, and grandson Alan Baldwin, and by his brothers, Leonard ’40 and John, and sister, Ruth Smith ’36. His paternal grandparents were Francis H. Dart who attended the Academy and the college 1864-68 and Mary Leonard Dart who attended them 1872-77. His great-grandmother, Maretta Wheaton Leonard, received the Lit. degree in 1847.
The Oberlin Alumni Magazine, Oberlin, Ohio, September/October 1977, p. 31.

Francis Sidney Dart

Francis Sidney Dart [OHS ’02, OC ‘10] was born in Oberlin on May 12, 1882, and came of an extensive Oberlin family, some of whose members were his mother, Mary Leonard Dart, ’72-’75; father, Francis H. Dart, ’64-’68; grandmother, Maretta Whedon Leonard, ’47; sister, Helen Dart ’12; and three children: Francis [OHS ‘33] ’37; Leonard ’40; and Ruth Dart Smith, ’36.
After a short period of teaching, he spent his life as a missionary, mostly in Africa. One of his projects was to teach every native boy to build his own home out of the materials he found at hand.
After his retirement he went to live in California, and he died there, at Claremont, on November 23, 1952. His death was ascribed to cancer of the stomach, but he was free from the pain that usually accompanies this disease.
Oberlin Alumni Magazine, Oberlin, Ohio, January 1953, p. 27.

Helen M. Dart
Helen M. Dart, Jan. 3, of 6850 Crandon avenue. Funeral Saturday, 11 a.m., from funeral home, Jeffery boulevard, at 77th street. Interment Oberlin, O. In lieu of flowers remembrances can be sent to the Chicago chapter of the National Association of Social Workers, 123 W. Madison street. South Shore 8-8822.
Chicago Tribune, Chicago, Ill., January 05, 1957.

Miss Helen M. Dart
Services for Miss Helen M. Dart, 67, of 6850 Crandon av., social worker for the United States public health service, will be held at 11 a.m. today in the chapel at 7651 Jeffery blvd. Miss Dart died Thursday in Wesley Memorial hospital.
Chicago Tribune, Chicago, Ill., January 05, 1957.

Miss Helen Dart, 67, Former Resident, Dies

Funeral services were held in Chicago Saturday for Miss Helen M. Dart, who died Wednesday [Thursday], Jan. 3, at the age of 67. Burial was at Westwood Cemetery on Tuesday.
Miss Dart, a former resident of Oberlin, was the daughter of the late Frank H. Dart, and lived at 227 E. College. She attended Oberlin schools, [graduated from OHS in 1907,] and graduated from Oberlin College in 1912.
She had been in social services work in and around Chicago for many years.
Miss Dart is survived by her sister-in-law, Mrs. F. Sidney Dart, whose husband died in 1952, and by four nephews and nieces.
Oberlin News-Tribune, Oberlin, Ohio, Thursday, January 10, 1957, p. 5C.

Leonard Tomb Davidson
Dr. Leonard Tomb Davidson died Nov. 13, 1971, in Louisville, Ky. He was born Dec. 28, 1899, in Bellevue, Ohio, and his mother Mrs. Mary Tomb Davidson, was head of Dascomb Cottage (1907-12), Keep Cottage (1912-15), and Baldwin Cottage (1916-19 and 1920-24). She later married Hiram B. Ormsby. She died in Louisville in 1948.
Dr. Davidson [graduated from OHS in 1908, graduated from Oberlin College in 1912, and] received his M.D. at Johns Hopkins in 1919 after being elected to Phi Beta Kappa. After residency training in Boston, New York and St. Louis, he began practice in pediatrics in New York in 1923. From then until 1947 he did both private practice and part-time teaching at the Medical School, Columbia University. Also for many years he was medical director of the Judson Health Center on New York’s lower East Side. He married the former Margaret M. Norton in 1933.
In 1947 the Davidsons moved to Louisville, which had been Mrs. Davidson’s home, and bought a farm of 400 acres on which they operated a 65-cow dairy. In 1948 Dr. Davidson became the first fulltime professor of pediatrics in the University of Louisville Medical School and medical director of the Children’s Hospital. He retired in 1954. After retirement he did research in childhood tuberculosis with emphasis on antimicrobial drugs and also became director of the Student Health Service for the medical and dental schools. From 1915 to 1941 he and various associates published articles in 15 professional journals.
The Oberlin Alumni Magazine, Oberlin, Ohio, March/April 1972, p. 46.

Services are held for Ruth Davidson
Ruth L. Davidson of Chevy Chase, Md., sister of Virginia (Mrs. William) Black of 11 South Prospect, died on April 12.
Born in Kipton on Dec. 2, 1900, she spent her childhood years in Illinois and Ohio, graduating from Oberlin High School [in 1919] and Oberlin Business College, where she received a life certificate in teaching in Ohio.
After teaching at Boardman, Ohio, high school for a year, she worked for the P. A. Giar Company in Cleveland until 1927, when she became head bookkeeper for the Tolman Company in Washington, D.C. That association continued for 47 years, the last 15 as auditor of the company, retiring in 1974.
She was a member of Beta Chapter of Kappa Gamma sorority, Lebanon Chapter #25 Order of Eastern Star, Washington, D.C., and a member of the American Clan Gregor Society. She attended Georgetown Presbyterian Church in Washington.
In addition to Mrs. Black she is survived by another sister, Dorothy (Mrs. William) Mills, Wellington, three nieces and two nephews.
Services were held at the Norton Funeral Home in Wellington on Saturday with Rev. Raymond Milligan officiating; and burial was in Camden Cemetery.
Oberlin News-Tribune, Oberlin, Ohio, Thursday, April 21, 1977.

Charles Herman Davis
Charles Herman Davis, 82, of Oberlin, died Jan. 22 at the Harbor Side Nursing Home in Westlake after a long illness.
He was born in Wakeman and lived in Oberlin for 62 years. He graduated from Oberlin High School in 1933.
Mr. Davis was engineer superintendent for the Oberlin Water Department and had also been superintendent for the Wastewater Treatment Plant in Wellington.
He is survived by two sons, Charles Davis of Cortez, Colo., and Dennis Davis of Bay Village; three grandchildren; and a sister, Thelma Schmitz of Oberlin.
Preceding him in death were his wife, Miriam (nee Martin), on Jan. 14, 1997; his parents, Charles Herman and Myrtle (nee Dubay) Davis; and a brother.
Private burial was in the Wakeman Cemetery.
A memorial service was held Jan. 25 at the Gerber-Smith Funeral Home, Wakeman, with the Rev. Albert Sprague, pastor of the First United Methodist Church of Oberlin, officiating.
Memorial gifts may be made to the First United Methodist Church of Oberlin, 45 S. Professor St.
Oberlin News-Tribune, Oberlin, Ohio, Tuesday, January 28, 1997, p. 9.

Deborah Davis
Deborah Davis [OHS class of 1976], mother of Michael; daughter of the late Alberta Grant and Louis Thornton. She is also survived by two grandchildren; five brothers; five sisters; a host of nieces, nephews and other relatives; and a special friend, Joseph Foster. Viewing Thursday 2-9 P.M. at Pernel Jones & Sons Funeral Home, 7120 Cedar Ave., where wake and services will be held Friday 10 a.m.
The Plain Dealer, Cleveland, Ohio, Tuesday, October 12, 2004.

Edith Bunker Davis
Edith Bunker Davis was born on May 31, 1900 in Amanzimtoti, Natal, South Africa. Her parents, the Rev. Fred Robert (1859-1946) and Isabel Helen (Richards) Bunker (1865-1950) were Congregational missionaries of the American Board of Commissioners for Foreign Missions stationed at the Board's Zulu Mission in Natal. The Bunkers' intended destination had been the struggling mission station at Inhambane, Mozambique, but because of health and other problems, the station was closed before the Bunkers' arrival in Africa in 1891. To establish a more favorable location for the mission, the Rev. Bunker and two other missionaries set out in an exploring party in 1892. The Mt. Silinda station (in present-day Zimbabwe) was selected, and mission work began there in earnest in October 1893. The work was difficult, as it involved constructing roads and mission buildings, adapting to an unfamiliar landscape, winning the trust of the native Bantu tribes, studying their several languages, and opening day schools. The Bunkers transferred to Beira, Mozambique in 1904, and to Durban in 1911, where the Rev. Bunker was appointed Mission Day Schools supervisor. The family returned permanently to the United States in 1917, living in Oberlin, Ohio (1917-19), Wilton, Connecticut (1920-32), and several other places in New England (932-43), including a summer home in Gilmanton, New Hampshire. In his retirement, the Rev. Bunker traveled New England, presenting illustrated lectures on his experiences in Africa. In the last years of their lives, Fred and Belle Bunker made their home in East Williston, New York, with their daughter and son-in-law, Edith and Ernest Davis. Fred Bunker died in Lancaster, New Hampshire in 1946; Belle Bunker died in 1950.
From 1910 to 1913, Edith Bunker lived in Oberlin, Ohio on furlough with her mother and four brothers: Paul Richard (1895-1960; A.B. Oberlin 1918), Wilfrid Herrick (1896-1981; A.B. Oberlin 1923), Kenneth Chandler (1899-1980; A.B. 1921), and Sydney Kittridge (1904-69; A.B. Oberlin 1925; L.H.D. Oberlin 1963). After spending the years 1913 to 1917 in Durban, South Africa, Edith returned to Oberlin, graduating in 1918 from Oberlin High School. Brothers Wilfrid and Paul were then serving in the First World War: Paul in the Oberlin College Unit of the U.S. Army Ambulance Service (June 1917-May 1919), and Wilfrid as a Sergeant in the U.S. Marine Corps (1916-19).
In the fall of 1918, Edith entered Oberlin College. She received the A.B. in English in 1922. Following graduation, she worked as Church Secretary for the First Congregational Church in Flushing, New York (1922-23) and as Y.W.C.A. Secretary in Williamsport, Pennsylvania (1923-24). During these years, she debated pursuing a missionary career.
In 1924, Edith Bunker married sales representative P. Ernest Davis (d. 1986) and settled on Long Island, New York. From 1929 to 1966, they lived in East Williston. Along with rearing their children, Edith and Ernest made their home a center of hospitality for friends, relatives, foreign students, and visitors from around the world--many of them connected to the missionary community. For forty-two years, Edith maintained a steady correspondence with friends and missionaries, began to write about the lives of her parents and the history of missions in Africa, and served in numerous volunteer capacities on Long Island and in the region. She was President of the Association of American University Women of Long Island, Vice-President of the Oberlin Women's Club of New York (1958-60), and Elder of the Community Church of East Williston. From 1966 to 1976, the Davises lived on seven acres in Royalston, Massachusetts. There, Edith served as Clerk of the First Congregational Church and as a volunteer at the local Historical Society. In 1976, the couple moved to New London, Connecticut and in 1984 to the Friends House Retirement Community in Sandy Spring, Maryland. P. Ernest Davis died there on October 26, 1986; Edith died on June 30, 1991.
Edith Bunker Davis had three children, all of whom survive her. They are: Virginia Davis Hodge (b. 1926; A.B. Oberlin 1948), Alison Davis Oldham (b. 1929; A.B. Oberlin 1951), and Fred Bunker Davis (b. 1931; A.B. Oberlin 1954).
Portion of Edith Bunker Davis' Student File, held by the Alumni Records Office, Oberlin College.
Strong, William E. The Story of the American Board (American Board of Commissioners for Foreign Missions, 1910).
Oberlin College Archives, http://www.oberlin.edu/archive/WWW_files/davis_edith_b.html

Evelyn N. Davis
Evelyn N. Davis [nee Hughes] of Oberlin died Monday, Nov. 3, 2003, at Welcome Nursing Home, following a lengthy illness. She was 84. [She graduated from OHS in 1937.]
Born in Cleveland, she lived in Dayton before coming to Oberlin 40 years ago.
She worked as a cook for many years and most recently she was self-employed as the owner-operator of a childcare center in Oberlin.
She was a member of the Seventh Day Adventist Church of Oberlin.
Mrs. Davis is survived by four children; 13 grandchildren and a great-granddaughter; and a cousin. She was preceded in death by her mother, Mary Francis Woods.
Services will be Friday, Nov. 28, at 1 p.m., at the Seventh Day Adventist Church, 99 S. Park St., the Rev. James Davis, pastor, officiating.

Oberlin News-Tribune, Tuesday, November 18, 2003, p. 3.

Gas Fatal To Family [Grace (Loomis) Davis]
Father, Mother and Son Found Dead In Machine; Double Mnrder and Suicide
Cleveland. The asphyxiation of Tremaine E. Davis, 38, and, his family was "suicide and double murder," Coroner A. J. Pearce of Cuyahoga county said late yesterday.
Police revealed that Davis recently had been discharged by the Standard Oil company of California as supervisor of gasoline stations in Los-Angeles.
The bodies of Davis, his wife, Grace Loomis Davis [OHS class of 1909], 38 [44], and their son, Ted, 13, were found in a parked automobile early Friday. A 20-foot hose ran from the car's exhaust into the interior through a hole in the floor board. The doors and the windows were rolled tight.
They died of carbon monoxide fumes.
Coroner Pearce said all evidence pointed to a carefully planned double murder and suicide. There was a possibility, he said, that Mrs. Davis was a party to it but none whatever that the child was.
Logansport Pharos-Tribune, Logansport, Ind., Sat., Nov. 2, 1935, p. 4.

John Lord Davis

John Lord Davis, [OC ’18, OHS ’14, died] May 28, 1994, in Menlo Park, Calif., at 98. He was born in Jentsun, China, while his parents, Francis (Class of 1889) and Lydia Lord Davis, wee serving with Oberlin’s Shansi Mission under the auspices of the American Board of Commissioners for Foreign Missions. His father was killed—along with the other members of the Shansi Mission—in the Boxer Uprising in 1900, and his mother, who was ill in the U.S. at the time, was subsequently instrumental in establishing Oberlin’s Shansi Assoc. John and his late brother, Lewis ’19 [OHS ‘15], were the first Shansi representatives; they taught English at Ming Hsien, china. In 1918 John enlisted in the U.S. Navy Flying Corps as a naval aviation cadet. The next year, with the war over, he replaced his brother as a Shansi representative. He earned an M.B.A. at Harvard in 1922 and had a career in investment counseling. He established the Lydia Lord Davis Fellowship to support Chinese students at Oberlin; with his brother he established and supported the Shansi Assoc. Representatives Fund; and he established the Lydia Lord and Francis Ward Davis Chair of Religious Studies at the College. Many other education and religious institutions benefited from his philanthropy. He was a former president of the northern California Oberlin alumni club. Each of his three wives predeceased him. A great-grandniece is among his survivors.
Oberlin Alumni Magazine, Oberlin, Ohio, Fall 1994, p. 43.

Lewis Davis
Lewis Davis, 96, of Palo Alto, Calif., former Oberlin resident [and 1915 graduate of OHS], died Nov. 17 of congestive heart failure at his home.
Both Mr. Davis’ mother, Lydia Lord, and his father, Francis Davis, an 1889 graduate of the Oberlin Seminary, were missionaries to China. His two older brothers, William and John, were born in Shansi Province.

Lewis Davis was born Sept. 12, 1897, in Ravenna, Ohio, after his parents came home on furlough. His mother became ill in Ohio, and Francis Davis returned to China alone. He was killed along with the entire Shansi mission in 1900 during the Boxer Rebellion.

Lydia Lord Davis soon moved to Oberlin with her young sons and supported the family with earnings from her Chinese tea business and from lectures on China she gave throughout the Midwest. She had an extensive career supporting foreign missions, particularly the Oberlin Shansi Memorial Association, established as a forgiving response to the massacre of the Oberlin missionaries.

Lewis Davis was chosen as the first Shansi representative and went to China in 1919 to teach English. While there, he lived with Dr. K’ung, then head of the Oberlin Memorial College and later premier of China. Dr. K’ung’s wife was the sister of Mme. Chiang Kai-shek and Mme. Sun Yat-sen.

Fluent in Chinese and French, Mr. Davis began his banking career in 1920 after graduating from Columbia University. Working for the National City Bank of New York, he spent the next decade as a bank officer in Manila, Hong Kong, Singapore, Djakarta, Canton, and Beijing. When fighting intensified between Chinese Communists and Nationalists, the Davis family returned to New York where Mr. Davis took charge of the domestic foreign bookkeeping department of Bankers Trust Company.

When World War II broke out, Mr. Davis, then 44, volunteered to serve in the Naval Reserves. In October 1942 he was commissioned as a senior lieutenant and sent to Columbia for a year’s special training in the Navy School of Military Government, earning an M.A. in political science and a promotion to lieutenant commander.

His World War II duties included assisting in setting up a provisional government in Naples in December 1943. He was later reassigned to Saipan to take charge of the Economic Section for the next year. In 1945, he was sent back to the U.S. to join Operation Coronet, a plan for the invasion of Japan.

Following World War II, Mr. Davis served as Far Eastern representative of the Bank of America, opening both the Manila branch and one in Shanghai, shortly before that city fell to the Communists.

Mr. Davis assisted in the establishment of Bank of America International in New York during 1950, and then became the manager of the Bangkok branch.

Married to Mildred Harter of Oberlin since 1925, Mr. Davis and his wife lived many years in Bangkok. A vocalist, Mrs. Davis taught the children in the blind school to sing and got the King of Thailand so interested that he would play his saxophone for them.

After his return to the U.S. and until his retirement in 1962, Mr. Davis was acting head of the Asian Division in the international banking department of the Bank of America.

Mildred Davis died in 1971 and in 1972 he married Lillian Senior, formerly of Salt Lake City. She died in 1992. His only son, Lewis George Davis, died in the early 1960s.

Mr. Davis is survived by his older brother, John Davis of Menlo Park, Calif.; and four stepchildren, Edwin Senior of Mountain View, Calif., Noel Brusman of Chicago, Nan Robinson of New York City, and Renee Kindler of Foster City, Calif.; two grandsons, Bradley and Kenneth Davis of Hong Kong; 12 step-grandchildren, two great-granddaughters, and 11 step-great-grandchildren.

A memorial service will be held at First Church in Oberlin on Saturday, Dec. 11, at 3 p.m., with burial in Westwood Cemetery.

Oberlin News-Tribune,
Oberlin, Ohio, Tuesday, November 30, 1993, p. 2.

Merton E. Davis
Chester, Va. -- Merton E[dwin] Davis, 73, of Chester, Va., died Friday, at his residence.
He was born in Cleveland on March 31, 1917 to Earl W. Davis and Muriel Probert. He was employed 22 years as a controller for Olson Electronics in Akron, retiring in 1982. He married Betty Baker on Aug. 8, 1943 in Toledo. He was a [1935 graduate of OHS and a] graduate of Ohio State University, a 32nd Degree Mason, Chester, Va. Masonic Lodge 94 F&AM, [and] Ancient Accepted Scottish Rite Valley of South Bend, Ind.
Preceded in death by son, Scott H. Davis, he is survived by his wife, Betty L. of Chester, Va.; son, Merton E. Davis II of Owensboro, Ky.; daughters, Mrs. Muriel E. Diebel of Chester, Va., Mrs. Jane H. Davis of Heidelberg, Germany; seven grandchildren; three step-grandchildren; sister, Mrs. Dorothy Ann Belair of Sylvania.
Funeral services will be at 11 a.m. Tuesday, at the Witzler-Shank Funeral Home in Walbridge, with visitation from 5 to 8 p.m. Monday. Rev. Howard Graham will officiate. Genoa Masonic Lodge will conduct services Monday, at 7 p.m.
Burial at Lake Township Cemetery. The family requests memorial contributions to Chester Presbyterian Church in Chester, Va. (Witzler-Shank 1-419-666-3121.)
Akron Beacon Journal, Akron, Ohio, Saturday, October 13, 1990, p. C7.

Renee Davis
Malta -- Renee M. Davis, 38, of Rum Cherry Road, Malta, died Thursday, March 18, at her home.
Born in Elyria, Ohio, June 28, 1965, she was the daughter of James and Ann Ward. She served in the U.S. Air Force at Travis Air Force Base in California, where she met her husband. Renee was a day care teacher at the YMCA in Malta. Her life and love were dedicated to her family and day care children.
Survivors include a husband, Joel Davis; two sons, Zackary and Jakob Davis of Malta; her mother, Ann Ward of Oberlin, Ohio; three sisters, Kathy Stanfield of Wakeman, Ohio, Debbie Brentlinger of Ocala, Fla., and Cindy Pinkston of Oberlin, Ohio; two brothers, Bruce Ward of Oberlin, Ohio, and Jim Ward of Fort Worth, Texas; several nieces and nephews; great-nieces and nephews; aunts; uncles; and countless friends.
A celebration of Renee's life will be held at 1 p.m. Saturday at YMCA in Malta Commons, 100 Saratoga Village Blvd. in Malta.
In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to a scholarship fund for her sons, which will be established, or the YMCA Malta Childcare, 100 Saratoga Village Blvd., Suite 28, Malta, NY 12020. Arrangements by Armer Funeral Home Inc., 39 East High St., Ballston Spa, www.armerfuneralhome.com.
The Saratogian, Saratoga, N.Y., Friday, March 19, 2004.

Mrs. Rosalie Rhodes Davis Dies at 20; Ill Two Days
Funeral services were held Tuesday afternoon at Christ Temple Church for Rosalie Rhodes Davis, 20, 130 Locust St., who died at Allen Hospital Sunday morning after an acute illness of two days. Rev. M. C. Jarvis conducted the services and burial was in Westwood Cemetery.
Born in Oberlin November 13, 1926, Mrs. Davis had lived here all her life [and was a 1946 graduate of OHS]. She was married to John Davis 14 months ago. Besides her husband, she is survived by her parents, Mr. and Mrs. King Rhodes, 130 Locust St., and three sisters, Katherine, Marlene and Nancy, all at home.
Oberlin News-Tribune, Oberlin, Ohio, Thursday, May 29, 1947, p 1.

Victoria Lynne Davis
Vermilion -- Victoria Lynne Davis, 50, of Vermilion, passed away April 6, 2008, at New Life Hospice Center of St. Joseph, Lorain, following a long illness.
She was born Dec. 21, 1957, in Oberlin, and had lived in the Vermilion area since 1989. She enjoyed traveling, golf, fishing and gardening.
She is survived by husband, Larry R. Davis of Vermilion; daughter, Jamie L. Davis of Vermilion; son, Trevor R. Davis of Vermilion; brothers Thomas Willbond of Oberlin and William Willbond of Wellington; and sisters Karen Kaiser of Ft. Wayne, Ind., Marilyn Clapp of Newark and Laurel Clapp of Elyria. She was preceded in death by father, George Willbond; and mother, Elizabeth Gunning Willbond.
Visitation will be Tuesday, April 8, 2008, from 5 to 8 p.m. at Cowling Funeral Home, 228 S. Main St., Oberlin. Funeral services will be Wednesday, April 9, 2008, at 11 a.m. at the funeral home. Pastor David Johnson, of the Church of the Nazarene, Vermilion, will officiate. Interment will be at Westwood Cemetery on Wednesday.
In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to New Life Hospice, 5255 N. Abbe Rd., Elyria, OH 44035
The Morning Journal, Lorain, Ohio, April 7, 2008.

Funeral service held for W. P. Davis, 82
William Potter Davis, 82, college official, banker and three-term Oberlin City Council member, died Sunday in Allen Hospital. Funeral services were yesterday at 1:30 p.m. in First Church and burial was in Westwood Cemetery.
Mr. Davis was born in China on Feb. 1, 1893; his parents, Francis Ward Davis and Lydia Lord Davis, were missionaries with the Congregational Church. The whole family returned to the United States for a furlough in 1898. Francis Davis returned alone to China and was killed there in the Boxer Uprising of 1900, which the Arch on Tappan Square recalls.
William Davis, five years old when the family moved to Oberlin, was graduated from Oberlin High School [in 1911] and from Oberlin College in 1915. He was a financial officer for a number of firms including the Packard Motor Car Co. in Detroit and the YMCA College, also in Detroit, before returning to Ohio. He received a law degree from Cleveland Marshall Law School in 1927, but did not practice law.
During the Depression, he was a staff member of the Reconstruction Finance Corp., a Roosevelt “New Deal” agency. Although Mr. Davis was a Republican, “he felt that part of the program was very helpful in trying to meet the problems of the time…getting small and medium-size businesses on their feet,” said his son, William Jr. The Cleveland bank where Mr. Davis had been employed for some years, Guardian Trust, had failed during the financial crisis.
In 1941, Mr. Davis became treasurer of Oberlin College and served until his retirement in 1958. Next, he was comptroller of Baldwin-Wallace College in Berea for two years, and then, at the age of 67, he joined the Oberlin Savings Bank as executive vice president. The same year, he was seated on Oberlin City Council.
Mr. Davis became president and chief executive officer of Oberlin Savings Bank in June, 1966 and served until 1970.
In addition to serving on council, Mr. Davis was treasurer of Allen Hospital and a hospital trustee; treasurer of the Oberlin Historical and Improvement Organization; and a trustee of First Church. He served as a trustee also of the Shansi Memorial Association, which his mother had helped to found, from 1941 to 1975 and was also the association’s treasurer from 1953 until this year. He belonged to the Oberlin City Club.
In addition to his wife, Elma, and William Jr., who is treasurer of Dartmouth College and lives in Norwich, Vt., Mr. Davis is survived by his son Edward, a banker who just moved from San Francisco to Ft. Worth Tex.; by two daughters Mrs. Polly Gaul of Perrysburg and Mrs. Marion (Barbara) Haggard of Lexington, Ky.; by two brothers in California, John L. of Santa Barbara and Lewis E. of Carmel; and by 14 grandchildren.
Mr. Davis, whose home was 61 Glenhurst, had been ill for several months; his death was caused by a heart attack.
Oberlin News-Tribune, Oberlin, Ohio, Thursday, July 10, 1975, p. 1.

Agnes May Davison
Agnes May Davison, 86, of Oberlin, died Saturday, October 18, 2008 at Welcome Nursing Home in Oberlin. She was born June 19, 1922 in Oberlin [and graduated from OHS in 1940].
Agnes lived in Oberlin all her life. She worked as a utility clerk for the city of Oberlin for 20 years, retiring in 1986. She was a member of Rust United Methodist Church, the NAACP, Negro Business Professional Women, Library Board and Civil Service Commission. She served on the board as post chairman of the Oberlin Coop Bookstore. Agnes enjoyed contract bridge (cards) and reading.
She is survived by her son, Richard McCoy, of Mitchellville, Maryland; daughter, Patricia Whithead, of New York City, New York; 11 grandchildren; many great-grandchildren; and a host of nieces and nephews.
She was preceded in death by her husband, Robert E. Davison; son, Robert Davison Jr.; parents, Worthy and Carrie Smith; and sisters, Julia Schumate [OHS ‘47] and Barbara Jean Seymore [OHS ‘49].
There will be a private family burial in Westwood Cemetery at a later date.
Cowling Funeral Home of Oberlin handled local arrangements.
The Chronicle-Telegram, Elyria, Ohio, Tuesday, October 21, 2008.

Julia Whittington DaVolt

Julia W. DeVolt [DaVolt] was schooled as a concert violinist but was ultimately inducted into the Colorado Country Music Hall of Fame as a fiddler with a country and western band.
One of the founders of Denver area pioneer country music station KLAK, Mrs. DeVolt died Sunday in Porter Memorial Hospital. She was 75.
Private services were held. Burial was in Hampton Memorial Gardens.
In January 1955, Mrs. DeVolt, her husband, Maurice and Edythe Sweeney, Began KLAK, in a hay shed at 1315 Oak St. in Lakewood. The 250-watt station operated "sunup to sundown," featuring country and western hillbilly and Hawaiian music along with live performances by the KLAK Ranch Hands.
The band featured Mrs. DeVolt on the fiddle, her husband on the guitar and a bass and steel guitar player. Dressed in red western suits with white Stetsons, boots and neckerchief, the Ranch Hands played hundreds of grand openings, promotions and hospital concerts.
In 1961, the DeVolts sold KLAK to go into the real estate business. They later started radio stations KKEP in Estes Park and EMID in Castle Rock.
Born Julia Leming Whittington on Oct. 30, 1914 in Van Buren, Ark., she [graduated from OHS in 1932 and] studied concert violin at the Oberlin Conservatory of Music. She and her husband were married Oct. 21, 1940, in Bethesda, MD.
On June 21, 1980, she was inducted into the Colorado Country Music Hall of Fame.
In addition to her husband, Mrs. DeVolt is survived by a daughter, Lydia J. Quast-Iverson of Aurora, and a granddaughter, Julia Maurine "Mauri" Quast. She was preceded in death by a son. Barry N. DeValt.
"Larry's Page," Larry Duncan, Waldron, Arkansas, http://home.flash.net/~larryd55/html/nti/nti05010.htm

Gordon C. Dawley
Gordon Clifton Dawley, 80, of Panama City Beach, Fla., former Oberlin resident, died Nov. 30 in a local hospital. [He was a 1932 graduate of Oberlin High School.]
He had lived in Bay County, Florida, since 1979.
Mr. Dawley owned and operated the Powers & Dawley store in Oberlin for many years.
He was a member of First United Methodist Church, a member of the Masonic Lodge of Oberlin and the 33rd Degree Scottish Rite of Cleveland, and a life member of American Legion Post 102 of Oberlin.
He is survived by his wife, Betty Jane of Panama City Beach; daughter, Karolyn Wildeman of Lynn Haven, Fla.; son, Allen P. Dawley Sr. of Stuart, Fla.; sister, Eula Ruth Tonner of Litchfield, Conn.; and four grandchildren.
Services were Dec. 2 in the Kent-Forest Lawn Funeral Home Chapel in Panama City with the Rev. Doug Pennington officiating.
Burial was in Forest Lawn Cemetery in Panama City.
Oberlin News-Tribune, Oberlin, Ohio, Tuesday, December 7, 1993, p. 2.

Mrs. William B. Day
Margaret Harrison Day, 65, sister of Mrs. Earl Hiesser of 397 South Professor, died of a heart attack on June 28 in Montreat, North Carolina, where she was attending a church conference.
Her home was in Dunedin, Florida, where memorial services were held on Friday in St. Andrews Presbyterian Church.
Mrs. Day was born in North Olmsted and lived in Oberlin until her graduation from Oberlin College in 1939. [She graduated from Oberlin High School in 1934.]
The only survivor besides her sister here is her husband, William B. Two daughters are deceased.
Oberlin News-Tribune, Oberlin, Ohio, Thursday, July 8, 1982, p. 2.
Margaret Harrison Day died June 28 1982, in Montreat, N.C., where she was attending a church conference. She was a resident of Dunedin, Fla.
Mrs. Day was born in North Olmsted, Ohio, Aug. 10, 1916, and attended public schools in Oberlin. [She graduated from OHS in 1934 and from Oberlin College in 1939.] She and W. Baldwin Day ’41 were married in 1941.
In addition to her husband, she leaves a sister, Hermine Hiesser of Oberlin. Two daughters are deceased.
The Oberlin Alumni Magazine, Oberlin, Ohio, Autumn 1982, p. 99.

Stephen Edward Day
Stephen Edward Day died March 6[, 1969,] in San Diego. He was born Jan. 7, 1903, in Donaldson, Ind.[, and graduated from OHS in 1921].
After graduation from Oberlin [College in 1925], Mr. Day studied at the Walton School of Commerce and then held auditing positions for several firms in Indiana and Minnesota. In 1938 he became treasurer of the Rock Island Millwork Co., Rock Island, Ill. He retired early because of ill health.
He leaves his wife, the former Jeanne Stattman, of Moline, Ill., two sons, James Ward and Charles Stattman; a daughter, Mrs. C. LaVerne Potter (Jane Day, ’26) of Naples, Fla., and a brother, Daniel S., ’48, of Superior Wis.
The Oberlin Alumni Magazine, Oberlin, Ohio, November 1969, p. 46.

Rebecca Decherd
Rebecca Decherd (nee Burgner), formerly of Oberlin, died Wednesday, April 7, 2004, in Worcester, Mass. She was 103.
Born Sept. 4, 1900, in Oberlin, she [graduated from OHS in 1919 and] studied organ at the Oberlin Conservatory, eventually earning a master’s degree in organ.
Following graduation, she taught at Berea College in Kentucky for two years. At the recommendation of her college professor, she was the organist at Central Union Church in Honolulu for two years.
After marrying in 1929, she and her husband pastured a small church in Kiwanee, Ill. They then joined the Board of Presbyterian Missions, and served as missionaries for 35 years in Syria and Lebanon.
Although there were not many organs in the Middle East at that time, she found ways to use her musical training. In 1932 she played for the service of dedication for a new organ at the YMCA in Jerusalem.
She returned to Oberlin in 1972, living next door to the house where she grew up.
Mrs. Decherd is survived by her daughters Elizabeth Lane of Westminster, Mass., and Eleanor Raheem of Ossining, N.Y.; son, Donald Decherd of Linville, N.C.; and 10 grandchildren and 12 great-grandchildren. She was preceded in death by her husband, Douglas Decherd; and son, Donald Decherd.
A memorial organ recital will be performed at 4 p.m. Wednesday, June 30, at First Church.
Oberlin News-Tribune, Oberlin, Ohio, Tuesday, June 8, 2004, p. 3.

Frances C. Dee
Frances C[arolyn] Dee [nee Brandt], age 95, a former resident of Holiday, passed away Sunday, Nov. 16, 2008, at Pleasant View Health Care Center in Baberton, OH. [She graduated from OHS in 1931.]
She was born in Wellington Township, OH and was employed as a supervisor for the City of New Port Richey Public Library for 30 years. She was a member of St. Vincent DePaul Catholic Church in Holiday.
Survivors include a son, Richard Dee of Oregon; and a daughter, Carol Perrine of Baberton, OH; one grandchild; three great-grandchildren; and nieces.
A Mass of Christian Burial will be held on Saturday, Nov. 22, 2008, at 1:30 pm at St. Vincent DePaul Catholic Church. Interment will follow in Meadowlawn Memorial Gardens. Public visitation hours are scheduled for Friday, Nov. 21, 2008, from 2-4 pm at: North/Meadowlawn FH 4244 Madison Street, NPR 727-849-9281
St. Petersburg Times, St. Petersburg Fla., Sunday, November 20, 2008, p. 6B.

Gola May Deem
Gola May Deem, 51, of Jacksonville, Fla., died July 1. She had “Lou Gehrig’s disease.”
The daughter of the late Herbert and Helen May, she grew up in Oberlin and graduated from Oberlin High School in 1951.
She is survived by her husband, Charles; four daughters, Betsy, Sarah and Patricia of Jacksonville, and Nancy of Philadelphia; and six grandchildren.
Burial was July 3 in Jacksonville.
Oberlin News-Tribune, Oberlin, Ohio, Thursday, July 11, 1985, p. 5.

Ruth Deery
Longtime Longview resident Ruth (Taylor) Deery, 84, died March 3, 2008.
She was born April 23, 1923, in Chicago [and graduated from OHS in 1940]. She moved to the local area 64 years ago.
Mrs. Deery earned a B.A. from Oberlin College in Ohio and was a teacher in the Longview School District. She was the 1991 environmental citizen of the year.
She married Harold Deery in 1958. He preceded her in death in 2003.
Mrs. Deery is survived by a daughter, Linda Deery Nelson; two sons, Edwin Lloyd Deery and Kevin Jon Deery; a brother, Edwin E. Taylor; her companion, Gerrit de Haas; two grandchildren, Sara R. Nelson and Roscoe Nelson IV; and a great-granddaughter, Margaret Sterrett Nelson.
A celebration of Mrs. Deery's life will be announced this summer.
Remembrances may be made to the Willapa Hills Audubon Society, P.O. Box 399, Longview, WA 98632.
Arrangements are by Ross Hollywood Chapel, Portland.
Please sign the guest book at www.tdn.com/obits.
The Daily News, Longview, Wash., Tuesday, March 11, 2008.

Oberlin Graduate Died in Sioux City
Mrs. Sarah Seymour De Haan Passed Away Dec. 13 – Taken with Pneumonia
Word was received here this week of the sudden death of Mrs. Sarah Seymour De Haan at Sioux City, Ia., Dec. 13. Mrs. De Haan had been sick with the flu when pneumonia set in and she passed away early Monday morning.
Mrs. De Haan was a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J. Wells Seymour, who were former well known residents of this place. She was graduated from [Oberlin High School in 1903 and from] Oberlin College with the class of 1908 and in the following year was united in marriage with Arie B. De Haan who was a Grinnell graduate and completed his theological course here that year. They went to Techou, Shantung, China, where they served as missionaries under the A. B. C. F. M. for eight years.
For the last six years they have been living in Sioux City, where she had won a large place for herself in the hearts of those who knew her. She had adopted three small boys, who are now 11, 8 and 5 years. During her life in Oberlin she made many friends who will be pained to learn of her passing away.
The funeral will be held on Thursday at the old home in Rootstown, Ohio, where her father, sisters and brother are buried.
The Oberlin Tribune, Oberlin, Ohio, Friday, December 24, 1926, p. 1.

Larry Arthur deLaubenfels
[Leroy] “Larry” Arthur deLaubenfels, 82, of Redding died Saturday at home. Arrangements are pending at Allen & Dahl Funeral Chapel in Redding. [He graduated from OHS in 1942.]
Redding Record Searchlight, Redding, Calif., Sunday, October 1, 2006, p. B5.

Jessica Ann Delic
Jessica Ann Delic, 17, of Russia Twp. died Tuesday at MetroHealth Medical Center in Cleveland after a lifelong battle with a heart condition.
Born in Lorain, she had lived in Russia Twp. for the past 10 years. She was a junior at Oberlin High School and the Lorain County Joint Vocational School. She was a member of Sacred Heart Chapel, Lorain.
Survivors include her mother, Rosael Delic; a brother, Matthew, at home; and maternal grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. Luis Maldonado of Lorain.
She was preceded in death by her father, John, in 1985, and by her paternal grandparents, Katerina and Nicola Delic.
Services were held this morning at the John R. Dovin Funeral Home, Lorain, followed by mass at Sacred Heart Chapel. Burial was in Calvary Cemetery, Lorain.
Oberlin News-Tribune, Oberlin, Ohio, Saturday, December 23, 1989, p. 2.

Jay DeLong, Former Mail Carrier Here, Dies at 73
Jay H. DeLong, a native of Russia township and one of Oberlin’s first rural mail carriers, died at 6:30 p.m. Friday at Pleasant View Sanatorium.
Funereal services with the Rev. Wilbur Goist officiating, were Sunday from the Cowling-Sedgeman funeral home. Burial was in East Pittsfield cemetery.
Mr. DeLong was born June 22, 1873, and lived on E. Hamilton St. until five years ago when he moved to Elyria to live with his sister, Mrs. James Blythin.
He was one of the first rural mail carriers out of the Oberlin post office, receiving his commission in 1905. He served in this capacity for 12 years and then was appointed a sub carrier.
A bachelor, Mr. DeLong is survived only by his sister.
Oberlin News-Tribune, Oberlin, Ohio, Thursday, October 9, 1947, p. 4.

Gina M. DeMarco
Gina M. DeMarco, 20, of Oberlin died Jan. 7 in a one-car accident in Ashland County.
A native and lifelong resident of Oberlin, she graduated as an honor roll student from Oberlin High School in 1988. She was in the high school choir and marching band.
She was a sophomore at Kent State University, where she was a member of Phi Delta Sorority.
She was also a member of East Oberlin Community Church and enjoyed music, animals and pets.
She is survived by her parents, John and JoDeane (nee Henery) DeMarco of Oberlin; a brother, David John of Oberlin; a grandmother, Lillian Henery of Orrville; and a great-grandmother, Florence Matthews of Dalton.
Services were Wednesday morning in the Curtis-Scheuffler Funeral Home, Elyria, with the Rev. Daniel Sheppard officiating. Burials was in Brookdale Cemetery, Elyria.;
Memorial gifts, if desired, may be made to the Lorain County Animal Protective League or to the East Oberlin Community Church.
Oberlin News-Tribune, Oberlin, Ohio, Tuesday, January 16, 1990, p. 2.

Jane Elizabeth Dement
Jane Elizabeth Dement [nee Byars], 64, Del City, died Monday, Aug. 11. She was born April 3, 1922 in Oberlin OH [and graduated from OHS in 1941]. She came to the OKC area in 1941. She was a homemaker, and a member of Douglas Blvd. United Methodist Church. Survived by a son, Albert R. Dement II, OKC; 5 daughters, Brenda M. Habbal, Del City, Judith A. Taylor, Sandra R. Resar and Tonia J. Shannon, all of OKC, Lisa B. Gober, Temple OK.; 2 brothers, Warren W. Byars, Grafton OH., Sidney R. Byars, OH.; a sister, Isabel Hoskins of FL.; 14 grandchldren. Services 10am Thursday, Bill Eisenhour Southeast Chapel, interment Sunny Lane Cemetery.
The Daily Oklahoman, Oklahoma City, Okla., Tuesday, August 12, 1986.

Joseph Demko
Joseph Demko died Sept. 20, 1981, in Chardon, Ohio. He was the fifth child in a family of seven children and was born in Sul, Czechoslovakia, March 8, 1891. He was educated at a Lutheran school until the age of 16, when he emigrated to McKeesport, Pa. Although he spoke several languages, including Slovak, Czech, German, French and Italian, he was illiterate in English when he left Czechoslovakia.
He lived with a cousin in McKeesport and worked at a tube factory. He studied English in night school and attended the Academy 1912-16. In 1917, he became an American citizen and enlisted in the army and fought for one year in WWI. He re-enlisted into the Army of Occupation, and served three years. His interest in religion led him to be a chaplain’s assistant. He joined the Ohio National Guard for four years following his active duty and throughout his eight years of service, he played in the military band. [He graduated from OHS in 1922 and was listed “as of the class of 1918.”]
In 1925, Mr. Demko married Anna Zoufalik, a 1920 Czech immigrant and 1924 graduate of the Schauffler School. For 27 years, Mr. Demko was a clerk for the V.A. and he owned and operated a farm in East Claridon, Ohio. He was an active member of the American Legion.
He leaves his wife and three children, ten grandchildren and six great-grandchildren.
The Oberlin Alumni Magazine, Oberlin, Ohio, Winter 1982, p. 60.

Larry W. Dennis Jr.
Larry W. Dennis Jr., 36, of Villa Rica, Ga., former Oberlin resident, died April 30 after a short illness.
Born in Cleveland, he lived in Oberlin for many years before moving to Georgia.
Mr. Dennis was employed by the Dillard Smith Construction Co. in Georgia as a heavy equipment and electrical foreman. He was a member of Local 295 of Georgia.
He was a fan of the Atlanta Braves.
Survivors include his mother, Freda Ruth (nee Bennett) Dennis of Panama City, Fla.; a sister, Trudy Lynn Stedham of Birmingham, Ala.; two half-sisters, both of Cleveland; a niece and a nephew; and several aunts, uncles and cousins, many living in Lorain County.
He was preceded in death by his father, Larry W. Dennis Sr.; and his grandparents, Faith and Dalton Lindley and Anna Dennis.
Services were May 3 at the Jones-Wynn Funeral Home in Villa Rica, Ga., with the Rev. Gary Whatley officiating. Burial was in Meadow Brook Memory Gardens in Villa Rica.
Oberlin News-Tribune, Oberlin, Ohio, Tuesday, May 11, 1999, p. 2.

Rev. Ernest D. Denny
The Rev. Ernest DeWitt Denny, 59, former Oberlin resident, died Dec. 1 at St. Vincent Health Center, Erie, Pa., after a brief illness.
Born in Jessamine County, Ky., he lived many years in Oberlin and graduated from Oberlin High School [in 1952]. He served with the Army during the Korean War and was awarded the Purple Heart.
A graduate of Virginia Union University, Richmond, Va., and Colgate Rochester Divinity School, Rochester, N.Y.; he did postgraduate work at Pacific School of Religion in Berkeley, Calif.
He was executive director of the Booker T. Washington Center, Erie, for 21 years. He also founded Primary Health Care Services for Northwestern Pennsylvania and was an associate minister at Shiloh Baptist Church, Erie.
Survivors include his wife, Ann; a son, Todd Anthony of Houston; a daughter, Tanya Ann of Kent; and sisters, Henri M. Ogle of Elyria and Ruth Young, Geneva “GiGi” Jones and Kitty Denny-Smith, all of Oberlin.
Services were Saturday afternoon at Mount Zion Baptist Church with the Rev. Fred L. Steen officiating.
Final disposition will be handled in Erie.
Memorial gifts may be made to the Booker T. Washington Center, Box 3037, Erie, Pa. 16512.
Oberlin News-Tribune, Oberlin, Ohio, Tuesday, December 10, 1991, p. 2.

City Lawyer Kenneth [Ray] Derby Dies At 90
Kenneth R. Derby, who practiced law in Norwalk for 53 years, died Tuesday at the age of 90.
Mr. Derby was born in Wakeman. He was a [a 1907 graduate of OHS, a] graduate of the Western Reserve College of Law and began his practice in 1910 in Norwalk. He retired in 1963.
Mr. Derby was a member of the Huron County Bar Association, a 50-year member of the Norwalk Masonic Lodge, and a member of the First Baptist Church of Norwalk.
Mr. Derby is survived by one son, Donald H. Derby, an attorney in Norwalk, and one daughter, Mrs. Carl (Rose) Bowlin, Norwalk; eight grandchildren and six great-grandchildren, and a brother, Bruce Derby, Norwalk.
Mr. Derby was preceded in death by his first wife, May, in 1950, and also his second wife, Edith, in 1970, and a son, Robert, in 1944.
Friends will be received from 2 to 4 and 7 to 9 p.m. Thursday at the Heaston Funeral Home. Services will be held at 2 p.m. Friday at the funeral home. The Rev. Paul Smith, pastor of the First Baptist Church, will officiate.
Masonic services will be held at 7:30 p.m. Thursday at the Funeral Home. Burial will be in Milan Cemetery.
Norwalk Reflector, Norwalk, Ohio, Wednesday, August 6, 1975, p. 1.

Wife’s Mistake Caused the Death of Her Husband [Leroy Ellwood “Roy” Derby]
Leominster, Jan. 23—Leroy E. Derby, 34 years of age, an upholsterer employed at the factory of the F. A. Whitney carriage company, was killed yesterday by a dose of oxalic acid administered by his wife by accident.
Mr. Derby had been ill for two days and early yesterday morning intended to take some Epsom salts. Unknown to his wife he had brought home a similar quantity of oxalic acid in the same kind of a package and she by mistake mixed a teaspoonful in half a glass of water and gave it to him. He died immediately.
Mr. Derby was a native of South Hero, Vt. He [graduated from OHS in 1892 and] was an accomplished musician, having studied music at Oberlin college. He had no children. His mother lives at Hubbardston, Vt.
The Lowell Sun, Lowell, Mass., Mon., Jan. 23, 1911, p. 7.
The funeral of Leroy E. Derby, who died here, Sunday, as the result of oxalic acid administered accidentally, was held, yesterday forenoon, at Hubbardston. The services were conducted by Rev. Edward D. Holmes.
Fitchburg Daily Sentinel, Fitchburg, Mass., Thurs., Jan. 26, 1911, p. 5.

Service set Saturday for Mrs. Derr
Margaret Sweet Derr, 83, died Friday evening at Tressie’s Nursing Home on North Professor St. after two years of declining health. A memorial service will be held in First Church meeting room at 11 a.m. Saturday. The family suggests that a gift to Oberlin College and Conservatory scholarship funds would be preferred to flowers.
Mrs. Derr was born Jan. 8, 1893 at 279 Elm, a house designed by her father, professor Edgar G. Sweet, an early graduate and teacher of voice in the Oberlin Conservatory of Music who also was treasurer and choir director at First Church for many years. Mrs. Derr’s mother, Leona Hottenstein Sweet, also an early graduate, taught piano at the conservatory and was chosen to play at the dedication of old Warner Hall.
Following graduation from [Oberlin High School in 1909 and] Oberlin College in 1913 as a German language major, Margaret Sweet taught in the public schools of New York state, at Wells and at Dickinson Center. She was married in 1915 to her Oberlin classmate, Earle W. Derr. They lived in Akron until 1939 when they moved to Rockford, Ill., where they lived for 30 years. Mrs. Derr taught in the Akron public schools and did much effective tutoring; her main subjects were Latin, mathematics and English but from time to time she also taught history, social studies and music.
“Non-academic teaching was a natural part of her life; she taught many young and older people at Oberlin Beach on Lake Erie to swim, later taught social dancing at Rockford. A major job there was as proof-reader for the Rockford Register-Republic,” recalls her friend, Manette Swetland.
After the death of her husband in 1968, Mrs. Derr returned to Oberlin, living at the Fireland Retirement Center until she moved to Tressie’s. A sister, Madeleine Sweet Pearson, preceded her in death.
Mrs. Derr is survived by a son and daughter, Larry W. Derr of Fort Wayne, Ind., and Mrs. Marjorie D. Williams of Belmont, Mass.; and by six grandchildren and two great-grandchildren.
She had directed that her body go to the Case Western Reserve Medical School upon her death.
Oberlin News-Tribune, Oberlin, Ohio, Thursday, December 16, 1976, p. 8.
Mrs. Margaret S. Derr
An interment service for Margaret Sweet Derr at 3 p.m. today at Westwood Cemetery will be conducted by her son-in-law, George H. Williams, of Harvard Divinity School.
Daughter of Professor and Mrs. George Sweet, Mrs. Derr ws born and raised in Oberlin and graduated from Oberlin College in 1913. She returned to Oberlin in 1969 and died in 1976, willing her body to the medical school at Case Western Reserve University.
She is survived by a son, Lawrence, and a daughter, Marjorie (Mrs. George) Williams.
Oberlin News-Tribune, Oberlin, Ohio, Thursday, July 3, 1980, p. 2.

Elizabeth A. Deuble
Elizabeth A. Deuble, 72, formerly of Oberlin and Vermilion, died June 8 in Melbourne, Fla., after a long illness.
She had studied piano at Oberlin Conservatory and the Cleveland Conservatory of Music.
Survivors are her husband, Paul R. of Satellite Beach, Fla.; a son, Richard of Cincinnati; three daughters, Sally Sisco of Locust, New Jersey, Linda Lippencott of Simsburg, Conn., and Diane Lederer of Weston, Conn.; and 11 grandchildren.
Memorial services were June 11 at the Beach Funeral Home, Indian Harbor Beach, Fla.
Oberlin News-Tribune, Oberlin, Ohio, Thursday, June 18, 1987, p. 2.

James E. Dew
Missoula – James E[dward] Dew of Missoula passed away at the Village Senior Residence on March 2, 2012.
Jim was born Sept. 15, 1922, to Frank R. and Frances Riley Dew in Barnesville, Ohio. He attended Oberlin High School [graduated 1940] and graduated from Oberlin College with an A.B. in 1946 and an A. M. in 1947. He attended the University of Alabama in 1943-44 and received an A.S.T.P.
Jim served in the military during World War II with the U.S. Infantry, 106th Division, and was captured during the Battle of the Bulge. He was incarcerated in a German concentration camp from Dec. 19, 1944, to April 24, 1945. In 2005 he became the commander of the Montana Ex-POWs.
After the war he came to the University of Montana and taught in the Art Department from 1947 until his early retirement in 1977. Jim was instrumental in bringing the Fra Dana art collection to the university and as chairman and acting chairman of the Art Department, helped bring Rudy Autio and Walter Hook to the department. He was active in the art community, exhibiting his paintings in Spokane, Seattle, Minneapolis, Las Vegas, Pittsburgh and Washington, D.C. Jim was listed in "Who's Who in American Art" and in "Who's Who in the West."
In 1948 he was a founding member of the Montana Institute of the Arts and was a member of the Montana Watercolor Society. Jim also was active in the Missoula community as a Rotarian and president of the Rotary Society from July 1, 1995, to July, 1, 1996. Every morning when in town, Jim attended the Press Box Coffee Club.
In 1951 Jim married Jane Duffalo, who brought two children, Jule Ann and Bruce, to the marriage. After his retirement, they traveled extensively throughout Europe and Mexico.
Jim was preceded in death by his parents, three brothers, one sister and his wife. He is survived by his two children, Jule Ann (Robert) of Ruidoso, N.M., and Bruce (Betty Lou), and grandchildren Jolie of Florence and Jim (Shana) of Lolo, and great-grandchildren Skyla and Dillon. Jim has numerous surviving nieces and nephews.
In his final months, Jim received loving assistance from Partners Hospice and the Veterans Administration. Special thanks and recognition go to Dr. Stelbach, Jan, Pam, Chris, Ben and Tobie. A memorial is being planned for this summer.
Memorial donations may be sent to the Jane and Jim Dew Visiting Artists Fund, University of Montana Foundation.
Missoulian, Missoula, Mont., Sunday, March 11, 2012.

Dr. Robert [Riley] Dew
Normal -- Dr. Robert R. Dew, 89, Normal, died Tuesday (May 5, 2009) at BroMenn Regional Medical Center, Normal.
A service to celebrate his life will be at 1:30 p.m. Friday at St. John's Lutheran Church, Bloomington. Pastor Elyse Nelson Winger will officiate. Family will receive friends following the service.
In lieu of flowers, memorials may be made to the church, Boy Scouts of America (W.D. Boyce Council) or to the Girl Scouts of America (Centrillio Council), OSF St. Joseph Medical Center, Baby Fold or the local Salvation Army. Kibler-Smith Memorial Home is in charge of arrangements.
Dr. Dew was born April 18, 1920, in Barnesville, Ohio, a son of Frank R. and Fannie Riley Dew. He married his high school sweetheart, Virginia Carson, on June 26, 1943, in Oberlin, Ohio. She preceded him in death on Sept. 18, 2003.
Dr. Dew is survived by five children, John R. (Jill) Dew, Glen Ellyn; Jane D. Wawak, Normal; Susan E. Dew, Fort Worth, Texas; Larry A. (Ruthie) Dew, Haslet, Texas; and Charles S. (Jeannie) Dew, Prescott, Ariz.; and a brother, James E. Dew, Missoula, Mont.; six grandchildren; seven great-grandchildren; and many nieces and nephews who will miss him dearly.
He was preceded in death by his parents; wife, Virginia; a sister, Elizabeth Carnes; and two brothers, Raymond and William Dew.
He grew up in Ohio[, graduated from OHS in 1938,] and was the first Eagle Scout in Oberlin, Ohio.
He was a graduate of Oberlin College and of the University of Louisville School of Medicine.
Dr. Dew was a veteran of the U.S. Army, serving as a physician with the Army of Occupation in Germany from 1949 to 1951. Upon his return from military service, Dr. Dew completed his education and came to Bloomington in 1952 to practice pediatrics.
He volunteered with the Boy Scouts and was a member of the American Medical Association and the McLean County Medical Society, president of the Phi Chi Medical Fraternity at the University of Louisville. He also belonged to the Elks Club.
He was an avid gardener, taking care of his yard, flowerbeds, strawberries, raspberries, grapes, rhubarb and pear tree.
He also loved playing cards with friends in the community.
The Pantagraph, Bloomington, Ill., Thursday, May 7, 2009, p. A7.

Virginia Grace Dew

Normal, IL -- Virginia Grace Carson Dew, 84, of 9 Ridgemont Road, Normal, died at 10:50 a.m. Thursday (Sept. 18, 2003) at her residence. [She was a 1937 graduate of OHS.]
Her Celebration of Life Service will be at St. John's Lutheran Church, Bloomington, at 2 p.m. Monday, the Rev. Knight W. Wells officiating. Family will receive friends after the service.
In lieu of flowers, memorials may be made to Boy Scouts of America (W.D. Boyce Council); or Girl Scouts of American Centrillio Council.
[incomplete obituary]
The Pantagraph, Bloomington, Illinois, Saturday, September 20, 2003.

Jean Louise Dewey
Jean Louise Dewey, 71, of New Port Richey, Fla., died peacefully at home on Saturday, May 19, 2012.
Jean was born and raised in Oberlin until her move to Florida in 1987. She met her husband Dave in First grade and they were married three days after high school graduation. [They both graduated from OHS in 1958.]
Jean was a board certified and licensed hearing aid specialist and co-owner of New Life Hearing Aid Center in New Port Richey with her husband. Jean’s hobbies included boating, travel, and flying; she received her pilot’s license in Ohio in 1968.
In Florida she was a member of the Little Theatre of New Smyrna Beach where she enjoyed acting. She was also a theater director, costume designer, and set decorator at the Vero Beach Theatre Guild. She was a board certified Miss America judge and enjoyed pageantry. Jean loved reading, writing, art and music and played the guitar, violin, and piano. Jean was well-loved by her “kitty babies.”
Jean is survived by her loving husband of 53 years, David R. Dewey [OHS ‘58]; two daughters Karin Jenkins of New Smyrna Beach, Fla., and Julie Eggers of Amherst, Ohio; five grandchildren and two great-grandchildren; sister, Lois Rathwell-Love [OHS ‘61] of Wellington, Ohio and brother, Irving (Chip) Rathwell of Amherst.
Jean’s Celebration of Life was held with family and friends at Colony Cove with Reverend Frank Creamer presiding over the service.
Oberlin News-Tribune, Oberlin, Ohio, Thursday, May 24, 2012, p. 6A.

Mary M. Dewey
Mount Vernon — Mary M[axine] Dewey, 81, died Wednesday, April 22, 2009, at Knox Community Hospital.
She was born July 28, 1927, in Danville to Vera (Rosebourgh) and Oliver Truex. [She graduated from OHS in 1945.] On July 28, 1946, she was married to Robert E. Dewey. She was a member of the AMVETS Post 95 and Eagles 760 in Mount Vernon.
She is survived by her sons, James of Mount Vernon and Michael Dewey of Elyria; four granddaughters; two great-granddaughters; one great-grandson; nephews, Donnie and Bobby Truex, and a niece, Kaye Crumbaker.
She was preceded in death by her parents; her husband; sons, Daniel and Ronald Dewey; a sister, Mariam Fletcher; and a brother, Ralph “Pat” Truex.
A private interment will be held at a later date in Brookdale Cemetery in Elyria.
Memorial contributions can be made to Hospice of Knox County, 17700 Coshocton Road, Mount Vernon, OH 43050. Information is available at www.fischerfuneralhome.com.
Mount Vernon News, Mount Vernon, Ohio, Friday, April 24, 2009.

Triple funeral is held for Dewey family dead
Triple funeral services for Richard Dewey, 28, and his children, Sandra, 4, and Stephen Richard, 6 months, were held yesterday at the Norton Funeral Home in Wellington. [They were killed in the Pittsfield tornado on April 11, 1965.]
Rev. Edward Griffith of the Wellington First Methodist Church officiated and burial was in Greenwood Cemetery there.
Mr. Dewey, born June 28, 1936 in Elyria, was a [1955] graduate of Oberlin High School. He was a self-employed plumber.
He was a member of the Wellington Methodist Church, the Wellington Eagles lodge and Tony’s Sunoco bowling team.
Both children were born in Oberlin, Sandra on Oct. 16, 1961, and the son on Oct. 2, 1964.
Surviving Mr. Dewey are his wife, Deanna, still in Allen Hospital, and daughter Susan, 5, in Elyria Memorial Hospital; his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Carl Dewey of Pittsfield; paternal grandmother Mrs. Ernest Dewey of Oberlin; two sisters, Mrs. Kathryn Kline of Columbia Station and Mrs. Carol Oldfield of Cleveland; and one brother, Thomas of Pittsfield.
Parents of Mrs. Dewey are Mr. and Mrs. Max Cooper of Wellington
Oberlin News-Tribune, Oberlin, Ohio, Thursday, April 15, 1965, p. 7A.

Edward Watrous Peck
Edward W. Peck[, and 1874 graduate of OHS and an 1881 graduate of Oberlin College,] died at the Abbott hospital, Minneapolis, on June 12, 1927. For 35 years Mr. Peck had been in Y.M.C.A. work and at the time of his death was assistant moderator of the Congregational Conference of Minnesota.
The Oberlin Alumni Magazine, July 1927, p. 26.

Sudden Death Oberlin Alumna
Mrs. Grace Dickason Died Saturday at her Home in Bluefield, W. Va.
Had Been Ill Only Three Days – Was Daughter of W. E. Robinson of This Place
The relatives and friends of Mrs. Grace Dickason were shocked Saturday to receive a message that she had passed away after a brief illness of three days at her home in Bluefield, W. Va.
Mrs. Dickason was the youngest daughter of Mr. W. F. Dickason of North Main street.
She was educated in the public schools here, graduating from the high school in 1902 [1901] and completing her college course in 1906.
With the exception of one year in the Baltimore high school and one in the St. Louis high school, she has served in Bluefield Institute, a state normal and academic school, ever since her graduation as a regular or substitute teacher.
She was married Aug. 26, 1914 to Mr. H. L. Dickason, a graduate of O. S. U., and now assistant principal of the Bluefield Institute.
One child was born four years ago but died in infancy.
Mrs. Dickason united with the First Congregational church in 1906. She was a faithful and conscientious worker among young people, a loving and faithful wife in the home.
The funeral was held Tuesday morning at 10 o’clock at the family home on North Main street.
She leaves a husband, an aged father, two sisters, seven brothers and many friends to mourn her loss.
The Oberlin Tribune, Friday, January 2, 1920, p. 1.

Missing elderly woman [Stella Dickerman] feared dead
Rindge, N.H.—Authorities in New Hampshire said today they fear that former Oberlin resident [OHS class of 1925] Stella Dickerman, 83, who has been missing since Sept. 13 may now be dead. Dickerman suffers from Alzheimer’s disease.
Dispatcher Dodie Houle, of the Rindge, N.H. Police Department, said the missing woman was not properly clothed at the time of her disappearance to handle the cool temperatures over the last 12 days.
“We don’t feel she’s in the area,” Houle said. Police and volunteers have worked daily in an effort to locate Dickerman, who wandered away from a baseball game at the Hampshire Country School in Rindge, where her son, William, works as a teacher. Rindge is about five miles north of the Massachusetts border.
William said he, too, is getting very concerned.
“This isn’t looking like a happy ending. I’m not sure this kind of story has a happy ending, anyway (with her condition),” he said.
Her chances of surviving are “a long shot,” as surviving in the wilderness of New Hampshire is difficult for anyone, let alone someone with a degenerative condition like hers, he said.
Although hope is fading, Dickerman said more searches are being planned, but Houle said so far, searchers have been unable to turn up any clues.
[Mrs. Dickerman died September 15, 1991.]
The Chronicle-Telegram, Elyria, Ohio, Wednesday, September 25, 1991, p. B1.
Stella Mallory Dickerman
Stella Mallory Dickerman ’29 has been missing from her Rindge, New Hampshire, home since September 13, 1991. The First Church in Oberlin held a service in remembrance of her Feb. 1, 1992.
Mrs. Dickerman, who suffered from Alzheimer’s disease, moved to Rindge from Oberlin in August 1991 to live with her son William ’65. She disappeared after wandering away from a softball game she and William were watching.
Local and state police, the New Hampshire Department of Fish and Game, the national guard, and hundreds of volunteers searched for her in the immediate and surrounding areas without success. Smaller searches, which continued for months after her disappearance, also failed to turn up any clues to her whereabouts.
A water-color artist and weaver, Mrs. Dickerman was born August 30, 1908, in Oberlin. After her marriage to William Dickerman ’30 ended in divorce in 1944, she returned to Oberlin, where she earned an M.A. degree in fine arts and taught art at Oberlin High School. She taught elementary and secondary art in Indiana University’s laboratory school from 1949 to 1954, when she became art consultant to the Battle Creek, Michigan, public schools. She held that position until her retirement in 1971.
She returned to Oberlin in 1978. A former president of the Class of 1929, she was a member of First Church and several community organizations.
Mrs. Dickerman’s family has long been associated with Oberlin College. Her parents, William Garfield and Mary Pope Mallory, were members of the class of 1905, and her father was a professor and chairman of the College’s Department of Physics. Along with her son William, she is survived by another son and daughter; a brother, Robert W. ’35 [OHS ‘31]; a sister-in-law, Satone Stoddard Mallory ’44; and two nephews, Douglas L. ’73 and Robert K. ’76.

Oberlin Alumni Magazine, Oberlin, Ohio, Spring 1992, p. 26.

[Esther Ann] Dietlin Service

Oberlin—Services for Mrs. Esther Ann Dietlin [nee McGinty], 55, of 177 South Main St., will be Friday at 9:30 a.m. in Sacred Heart Church of which she was a member. The Rev. Joseph Butler will officiate. Burial will be in St. Mary Cemetery, Wakeman. [She was a 1924 graduate of OHS.]
Mrs. Deitlin died yesterday morning in Allen Hospital following a long illness. Survivors are her husband, John; two sons, Paul, Lorain, and Danny, at home; three daughters, Mrs. George Rosenthal and Mrs. Harry Roberts, both of Oberlin, and Mrs. William Ketchem, Elyria; 12 grandchildren and a brother, William McGinty, Cuyahoga Falls.
Friends will be received at the Cowling-Stang Funeral Home where a rosary service will be held tomorrow at 8 p.m.
The Chronicle-Telegram, Elyria, Ohio, Wednesday, October 28, 1959, p. 16.

Paul R. Dietlin, 77, was postal worker
Lorain -- Paul R. Dietlin, 77, of Lorain, died Thursday, Aug. 8, 2002, at New Life Hospice Center of St. Joseph, Lorain, following a brief illness.
He was born Jan. 2, 1925, in Cleveland, and raised in Oberlin.
He graduated from Oberlin High School in 1943 and the Oberlin School of Commerce in 1948. He attended the University of Wisconsin, Madison.
He served in the U.S. Navy during World War II as a shipboard radioman 3rd class on the USS Mercury. He received the American Campaign, World War II Victory and Philippine Victory medals, the Asiatic Pacific Medal with four bronze stars and the Philippine Liberation Medal with one star.
Dietlin retired from the U.S. Post Office in Lorain in 1989 after 40 years of service. He was also employed for 28 years by the Sheffield/Sheffield Lake Board of Education.
He was a member of Bay Presbyterian Church, Bay Village, where he served an usher for 32 years and as a deacon. He was a member of the National Association of Letter Carriers and Postal Retirees' Group. He enjoyed gardening, traveling and Marco Island.
Survivors include his wife of 54 years, Dorothy (nee Barens); son, Tim of Kewadin, Mich.; daughters Dr. Cathy Dietlin of Vermilion and Bonnie Bowerman of Lorain; brother, Daniel, of Amherst; sisters Margaret Rosenthal and Patricia Roberts, both of Oberlin, and Kathleen Ketchem of Elyria; and five grandchildren. He was preceded in death by his parents, John and Esther (nee McGinty) Dietlin.
Friends may call Sunday, 2 to 4 and 7 to 9 p.m., at Hempel Funeral Home, 373 Cleveland Ave., Amherst, where services will be Monday at 1 p.m. The Rev. Robert Schroyer, associate pastor of the Church of the Open Door, and the Rev. Kenneth Tucker of Beth-el Baptist Church, Elyria, will officiate. Burial will be in Ridge Hill Memorial Park, Amherst Township, with military honors by the Amherst Military Honor Guard.
Memorial contributions may be made to Community Health Partners Foundation, Dietlin Family Fund or New Life Hospice Fund, 3700 Kolbe Road, Lorain 44053.
The Morning Journal, Lorain, Ohio, Friday, August 09, 2002.

Emma [Zelie] Dietrich Dies March 28 in Elyria
Funeral services were held last Wednesday at the First Methodist Church for Miss Emma Dietrich, 77, retired teacher and former Oberlin resident.
She died Monday, March 28, at the Elyria Methodist Home, where she had lived for the past nine months.
[She [graduated from OHS in 1902,] received an A.M. from Oberlin College in 1925, in addition her earlier A.B. degree in 1920. Born in Cleveland, Ohio, January 1, 1883, she was 77 years old at the time of her death. Miss Dietrich taught in the East Cleveland and Shaker Heights, Ohio, public schools, but had retired and had lived in Oberlin until a few months before her death.]
She was a member of the First Methodist Church here.
[She is survived by a number of cousins in Switzerland, the land from which her parents came.]
Rev. William K. Hogg and Rev. W. Stanley Smith conducted the funeral service and burial was in Westwood Cemetery.
Oberlin News-Tribune, Oberlin, Ohio, Thursday, April 7, 1960, p. 8B [The Oberlin Alumni Magazine, Oberlin, Ohio, December 1960, p. 39.]

Theresa J. Dietz
Theresa J. Dietz, 95, of Oberlin, died March 10 at Welcome Nursing Home.
Born in New York City, she had lived in Oberlin most of the time since 1906 [and was a 1913 graduate of Oberlin High School].
She had been employed years ago as a social worker in Detroit.
A longtime secretary for Sacred Heart Catholic Church, she also served many years as church organist, was correspondent for Catholic University Bulletin, and belonged to the parish Altar and Rosary Society, National Council of Catholic Women and Third Order of St. Francis.
Miss Dietz was the last member of a family of four sisters and three brothers.
The Rev. Charles Diedrick, her nephew, celebrated the memorial Mass on Thursday morning at Sacred Heart Church. Burial was in St. Mary Cemetery, Elyria.
Oberlin News-Tribune, Oberlin, Ohio, Tuesday, March 17, 1992, p. 2.

Ruth E. Dilgren

Enjoyed crocheting, playing piano
Ruth E. Dilgren (nee Evarts), 91, of Elyria, died Tuesday at the Anchor Lodge Nursing home in Lorain following a short illness.
Born in Norwalk, she had lived in the area for 63 years.
She was a [1921] graduate of Oberlin High School and attended the Oberlin Conservatory.
She was a member of St. John Lutheran Church and the Ladies Aid Society of the church. She was also a member of the Republican Women’s Club, Lorain County Historical Society, Animal Protective League of Lorain County and the Chrysanthemum Club.
She enjoyed crocheting, tatting lace, playing cards and playing the piano.
Mrs. Dilgren is survived by her daughters, June D. Crandall of Glen Burnie, Md., Jeanne D. Meredith of Elyria and Rilla R. Jokela of Euclid; a son, Richard E. of Houston; 13 grandchildren; 34 great-grandchildren; and three great-great-grandchildren.
She was preceded in death by her husband, Jack W., former Elyria municipal judge; and four sisters.
Friends may call 2 to 4 and 7 to 9 p.m. Thursday at the Curtis-Scheuffler-Busch Family Chapel, 114 Second St., Elyria.
Services will be at 10 a.m. Friday at St. John Lutheran Church, 1140 West River Rd., Elyria.
Burial will be in Brookdale Cemetery in Elyria.
Memorials may be made to St. John Lutheran Church or to the Lutheran Home, 2116 Dover Center Rd., Westlake.
The Chronicle-Telegram, Elyria, Ohio, Wednesday, June 15, 1994, p. D2.

Ann Elizabeth Dinkins

Ann Elizabeth Dinkins [nee Wyatt], 75, of 2236 Mangum, retired secretary for Gilford Instrument Laboratories in Oberlin, Ohio, died Monday at her home. [She was a 1935 graduate of OHS.] Memorial services will be at 3 p.m. today at T. H. Hayes & Sons Funeral Home in Memphis. She leaves three sons, Charles Dinkins Jr. and Kenneth Dinkins, both of Memphis, and Richard Dinkins of Nashville, and four grandchildren.
The Commercial Appeal, Memphis, Tenn., Tuesday, December 10, 1991, p. A14.
Ann Wyatt Dinkins
Ann Wyatt Dinkins [OC ’42 died] Dec. 9, 1991, in Memphis, Tenn., at the age [of] 74. A long-time Oberlin resident, Mrs. Dinkins retired as a clerk in the Gilford Instrument Laboratory sales department. She moved to Memphis from Oberlin three years ago. Survivors include three sons.
Oberlin Alumni Magazine, Oberlin, Ohio, Spring 1992, p. 30.

Mary F. Dipman
Savannah - Mary F. Dipman, 84, died Thursday, March 27, 2008 in Savannah.
Born in Lakewood, OH on June 4, 1923, she was the daughter of the late Thomas and Katherine Farquhar.
She was a 1941 graduate of Oberlin High School in Ohio and received her formal education at Oberlin College where she earned her degree in English.
During World War II, when many US soldiers were at war, she worked as a Systems Service Representative for IBM.
After her tenure with IBM she married Mr. William W. Dipman in 1947 who she traveled with extensively during his career.
In 1981 she moved to Savannah and was very active as a volunteer with many local organizations including, the Reach to Recovery Program of the American Cancer Society, the Bethesda Boys Home, The Girl Scouts as a Girl Scout Leader and Skidaway Island Presbyterian Church.
Mrs. Dipman is survived by her husband, William W. Dipman; daughter, Katherine D. Fullerton of Savannah; son, Carl W. Dipman of Columbus, OH; two granddaughters; brother, William K. Farquhar of Oberlin, OH and several nieces and nephews.
Memorial Service: 2:00 Monday at Skidaway Island Presbyterian Church with a reception following at the church.
Remembrances: The Bethesda Home for Boys, 9520 Ferguson Ave., Savannah, GA 31406.
Fox & Weeks Funeral Directors Hodgson Chapel

Savannah Morning News,
Savannah, Ga., March 30, 2008, p. 6C.

Paul M. Dixon
Paul M. Dixon, 64, passed away on Monday, Jan. 14, 2013, at his home.
Born in Columbus, Ohio, he was a son of the late Robert and Elizabeth Dixon. Paul spent his childhood years in Oberlin, Ohio before settling in Fort Wayne. He graduated from [OHS in 1967 and from] Miami (of Ohio) University.
He held many positions over his 34 year career at Lincoln Financial Group including lead systems architect and AVP in investment systems; retiring in 2012.
He was an avid flower gardener and in his spare time he enjoyed photography and remodeling his family's homes. "He was a wonderful husband, dad, and grandpa and his gentle, patient personality will be missed."
Surviving are his loving wife of 20 years, Colleen Kelly Dixon of Fort Wayne; daughters, Shellie (Mike) Kneese and Carrie (Chris) Myers, both of Indianapolis; sons, Cooper and Riley Dixon, both of Fort Wayne; grandchildren, Patrick, Sydney, and Josie; sisters, Lynda (William) Dixon Tod [OHS ‘61] of Manistee, Mich. and Beth Dixon [OHS ‘64] of New York City, N.Y.
Service is 11 a.m. Friday, Jan. 18, 2013, at Grace Episcopal Church, 10010 Aurora Place, with the Rev. Kathy Thomas officiating. Calling is from 3 to 8 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 17, 2013, at D.O. McComb and Sons Covington Knolls Funeral Home, 8325 Covington Road.
Memorials may be made to Visiting Nurse & Hospice Home or Fort Wayne Rescue Mission, 301 West Superior St., Fort Wayne, IN 46802. To sign the online guestbook, visit www.mccombandsons.com

The News-Sentinel, Fort Wayne, Ind., Wednesday, January 16, 2013, p. 2L.